Tule Lake Sump 1A control burn.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Let Em Work, Feb 6, 2018.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

True but, if they burn this early..... it will be like they never burned at all come Oct.
    I guess a burn is better than no burn, but the timing is way off.:yes:yes:yes:tu

2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

In regard to the timing, not really "way off". They want to stimulate new tule growth, do a bit of a "reset" on the places they add fire to. Burning in June could potentially do more harm than good in relation to the intensity of the fire they're adding to the landscape.

If they wanted to moonscape it, June would be good time for that (July and August would be even better) but that's not the objectives and fire effects they're looking for.

Call'em N likes this.
  3. callinfowl

No way in hell would it be moonscaped in Oct. if they burnt every single tule to the ground in June.:no:no:no

4. Dan Mallia

You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Carry on.

Call'em N likes this.
  5. callinfowl

Yeah, like I've never seen first hand how fast tules grow after they have been burnt to the dirt or waterline.
    But your the pro, so you carry on.:l:l:l:tu

6. Dan Mallia

In regards to the Klamath Basin fire regime, I'm definitely not a "pro" but from my couple of fire seasons working up there, for the objectives we were trying to meet in regards to marsh management, we burned things at certain times of the year to achieve those objectives.

And the couple of times we had wildfires in the units with tules in June, July and August, the intensity of the fire didn't propagate tule growth in those units by October.

7. callinfowl

If impenetrable walls of tules is the objective, they are doing a fine job.:l:tu:tu:tu

8. goose gobbler

goose gobbler Senior Refuge Member

This may sound crazy but I swear I heard talk of swapping the sump and the space blinds. Making the current space blinds a large marsh. Drain the sump and make that agriculture. Something to to with rotating to increase production. Not sure if it would increase crop production for fields or marsh plant production. Did sound like an expensive,time consuming transition. Anybody else hear something like this?

9. Dan Mallia

#fakenews :l

Too much infrastructure to make that happen and in some cases they're already creating a lot of "marshes" out there with their "management" plans.

10. Kurt Baer

Kurt Baer Senior Refuge Member

At some point way way back in time there was a plan to extend the E/W levee just north of the A blinds all the way to Sheepy Ridge. Then you could alternate those units between marsh and farming as is done at LK. Sump A would then be hard bottom when flooded. :h

As Dan said too much infrastructure. Who would pay for it? The Federal Gov, the farmers? This was way before the current water crisis that is going on 17 years and before the Walking Wetlands management Dan referred to.

Not going to happen.