Tuna Gear

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by gulicemo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. gulicemo

gulicemo Elite Refuge Member

Rookie tuna fisherman come September.

Recommendations on entry level setup for rod and reel plus other must have gear?

2. free_gaff

free_gaff Elite Refuge Member

needs more info. Where are you going...for how many days? Albacore up north, or SoCal? Long range style, or overnight? Is Guadalupe Island in the mix(whole different setup).

3. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

What free gaff said. If you'd like, PM me your number and I could give you a call with a rundown.

4. gulicemo

gulicemo Elite Refuge Member

Early September
    San Diego
    3 Night off shore
    Pacific Queen

5. JuvieCoot

You're going to want to have setups from 25-80lb with you if things go like they have the last couple seasons. Flourocarbon in the same sizes. Hook selection from 2-5/0. Circle hooks in the bigger sizes. I'd also have a few flatfall jigs, glow in the dark color, 200 gram size. Keep in mind that you can rent most of the tackle you need at the landing. The Pacific Queen is a good ride :tu

DuckSLu7 and Mean Gene like this.
  6. free_gaff

My favorite short range ride. Drew and Gavin run a tight operation, regardless of which one is driving. I got my first deckhand job on that boat in 1964...old fart :) What Juvie says is spot on...you will use all of that gear in 3 days if the fishing holds like it has. I don't know if the Queen has loaner gear, or if it is through the landing. All of them have quality 80# outfits for either the Bluefin or that larger grade tuna at Guadalupe. Make a call to find out. Were you planning on buying new gear? You still in Chico?

7. JuvieCoot

If you wanted to buy one setup that you are going to use for years to come, I'd look at a Calstar 700m or 800m or similar rod, and a shimano torium 16 or 20. Basic 30 pound setup. Then rent the other gear.

8. free_gaff

There are 5 staterooms in the stern if you are going in a group, ask in advance. If single, or just a couple of people, the best bunks on the boat are the middle and lower right under the stairs...smoothest ride, and lots of room on the back bulkhead for gear and boots.

J.Bennett likes this.
  9. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

That setup that JC mentioned will serve you well (I'd get the 800, but I like a longer rod). Somewhere buried in my garage are a 800XL/Newell 220, a 800L/Newell 338, and a 800M/Newell 533 that killed a lot of tuna back in their day.

Make sure you bring plenty of hooks in the sizes mentioned above. You don't want to be that guy getting in everyone's way during a wide open bite, trying to get your hook out of a fish because you're running low on hooks... Just wrap your boot around the line, break it and retie. Remember, what size hook you use is determined by the size of the bait (not the size of the fish that you think you're going to catch). Once you figure out what size to use, keep a supply of them in your pocket (easier access than trying to get to and then find them in your tackle bag during a wide open bite). May want to throw in some egg sinkers (1/4 to 2 ounce) as well. I was never a big fan of using weight with live bait, but sometimes it will get you bit when others aren't (same goes for the fluorocarbon).

The PQ is a nice ride for 3 days and less. First time I rode on it Sam Patella and Brian Kiyohara owned it and the last time I rode on it Bill Cavanaugh owned it, so it's been a while since I've been on it, but I'm sure it's still a nice ride.

JuvieCoot and free_gaff like this.
  10. JuvieCoot

Personally, I'd get an 800ML. I like a longer rod also. What JB said on the sinkers also. If the BFT are around, you may want some torpedo sinkers also from 2-8oz. I know they were getting some deeper fish with a torpedo sinker attached to line with a rubber band the last couple seasons.

@J.Bennett if you ever unbury those newells and they are in working order I know some people that would be interested in them