Tuna Gear

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by gulicemo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

For what it’s worth I don’t go on a 6 hour snapper trip here 2 miles off the beach without 6 rods.

But I’m a fish killer and I go prepared.

You wouldn’t believe the stuff I have seen with people that pay a lot of money to go fishing.

That’s why I love guys who say “I’m going on a multiday trip. What rod/reel should I take?”

The correct answer is go read up on what the trip you are taking entails and could expect and then get back to us with real questions.

Why show up to a boat that may be on flat out 100lb class bluefin tuna fishing and miss out because you asked some guys on the internet what rod should I take and you followed their good advice on your question.

Dude. Pay attention to what is going down there the two weeks before you sail and then try to show up ready.

And I live in Florida.....

2. Green house

Green house Refuge Member

I would recommend 5 star fish processing for any processing needs.

3. free_gaff

free_gaff Elite Refuge Member

Drew, the owner/operator of the Pacific Queen also is an owner of 5 Star...they will be there when the boat docks ;)

4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

E0A830BD-2E1C-4B2D-82C5-07085CD7B9B3.jpeg

KID CREOLE, JRS, circlehooker and 6 others like this.
  5. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

All that gear and stuff sounds more expensive then buying into a rice blind. I bet tackle a nice tuna is a rush. .

6. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

One never forgets a wide open tuna bite. Ya know it's on when as soon as the bait hits the water its like its been grabbed by a freight train.

7. free_gaff

free_gaff Elite Refuge Member

lol, yeah freight train...and then when you finally get it within reach...another freight train shows up 923.JPG
    that fish is almost 5 feet long, weighed 141#...that was a big great white shark :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    gulicemo, goose gobbler and API like this.
  8. gulicemo

gulicemo Elite Refuge Member

I get it. That's why I'm asking this 6 months in advance. But I'm also a guy that takes 6 rods panfishing to the local lake and never touches more than my one favorite setup. I get tuna are different and different grades of fish will dictate needs for different gear.

I'm also not going to dump $5k into rods/ reels on my first trip.

9. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Get one set up with a reel loaded with 65lb spectra that can handle 20-50lb line. Buy several spools of fluorocarbon in 20-50 and just do short topshots (6-8’). If the fish are big rent a heavy set up

free_gaff likes this.
  10. Humboldt Hunter

Humboldt Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I made my first tuna trip to San Diego last summer. I can't give you advice on tackle. I barrowed my uncles. There are a couple things that I will work on before going again.
    #1 A couple of simple quick knots. If I remember correctly, the uni knot was the one I was shown. I missed out on a hot bite because my knots kept breaking. Got a couple but should've had a limit! Did a lot better the next day.
    #2 If you can't do it already, learn to cast live bait. I couldn't when I started. A couple of the guys could cast em 20'+. If the bait didn't make it that far from the boat it wouldn't get hit. And the guys who could cast the macks would get hit on splash down.
    #3 Don't keep the Skip Jacks! They are junk fish. I kept a couple, they were the worst tasting fish I've ever eaten.
    It's an awesome trip! Have a great time. Good luck!