Tuna Gear

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by gulicemo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

Hey Free-Gaff from another old fart. Remember deckhands Gaylord or Andy Kinney? "What it is!!!!" I remember when Buzz was in Malibu. Talk about old. FYI I still have an original Sabre 190C rewrapped and Penn 100 with Newell upgrades
    Former Malibu pier brat
    Jeff G

free_gaff likes this.
  2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Does that bring back memories. Back in the days of no money and not able to afford 5 Star, we would load up the gunny sacks of tuna into the pickup and haul them home to clean. The first trick was keeping the cats out of the truck bed if we stopped to grab a burger on the way home.

Usually, no skip jacks went into the bag, but on occasion we managed to bring one home. Fortunately, our across the street neighbors were S/E Asia immigrants and they would take the skip jacks off our hand. They were happy, we were happy. It was all good.

BTW... this thread reminded me that my someone (I think my son) "borrowed" a Newell from me. Where the hell is it?

3. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    We should do a Fuge Fishing Trip somewhere in between. SLO?

4. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

I used to have an old Penn Squidder with a Newell spool and other upgrades on it... Could cast that thing a mile. I think I cried the day some dirtbag snatched it out of my truck.

free_gaff likes this.
  5. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

If I'm going to drive 4 hours to SLO for an overnight albacore trip, I may as well drive a few more hours and do a 3 day or more out of SD and catch something I'm not likely to catch up here. Might be able to talk me into a Channel Islands trip when the WSB are biting...

6. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Nah. I didn't mean tuna, necessarily. Salmon? Lings and bottom fish?

7. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Skipjack are excellent sashimi. Bleed them and get them on ice and they're top notch. They are great in poke and smoked as well. Outside of that I wouldn't bother with them.

8. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

One of the few things I can agree with Chuam on. Skippies are excellent if they are taken care of properly, same with bonito

chuam likes this.
  9. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Oceanic skipjack is chunk light tuna in the can. It is great just about any way. Too bad they only pull about half as hard as yft.

10. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Hardest fighting fish in the ocean is the bonito pond for pound. The majority are small and are great on light line. If you get into the 10-15lb models you'll swear you're pulling on a huge fish until it gets next to the boat.

I found skippies pull harder for their weight than a YFT of the same size. Albacore are the pansies of the tuna family.......

API likes this.