Tuna Gear

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by gulicemo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Humboldt Hunter

Humboldt Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Now that I think about it, that's what it tasted like. I don't like sushi. The fish were bled, put into a "kill bag" full of ice, then filleted on the way back. We processed them after dinner vac sealed and into the freezer they went.

2. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Bonito, bluefin, skipjack don't do as well in the freezer.

Try this recipe (it's hawaiian ceviche). Even people who don't like sushi tend to love this recipe when I make it:

3 lbs cubed raw tuna
    1 cup soy sauce
    3/4 cup chopped green onions
    2 tbsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
    1 tbsp sambal
    3 garlic cloves minced
    1/2 tsp grated ginger
    1 tsp Hawaiian salt
    1/2 Maui onion (or any sweet onion)
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    Ogo (dried seaweed) or nori (seaweed sheets) chopped fine

Mix all of this together and let sit for about 1-2 hrs before serving. I serve this either over rice or on top of water crackers.

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I disagree. When I have gone on long range trips I always take some "Muskie" gear which is heavy weight inland rods and 20lb casting reels. I cast small plugs behind the boat at night whenever we are on the high spots and not surrounded by humbolt squid. Those 5-10lb yft will kick the back side of any of those other species.

I've also been on the high spots when we had mixed schoools of yft and skipjack. While the yft were 5-10lbs bigger on average. You could always tell which one hit your bait as the skipjack would give you a 5 second run max and the yft would just keep trucking. You learned to count to 10 after the fish started and if it was still pulling you knew you had a yft and you worked it. The skipjacks you point the rod at the fish and wind it in.

4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Start doing curls and squats now then you should be good by the time you go lol that my words of wisdom

5. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

I knew a guy that got prepped by towing a VW around. Full sitdown harness, et al. Funny watching him reel in a car...

free_gaff likes this.