Tundra finally has it's first problem

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by stevena198301, Sep 7, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Personal preference, but I think the newer models back seats suck. They don’t recline or slide back and forth. I enjoy my reclining back seats.

I’m going the opposite. My next will be a 4Runner.

2. Duckfiend

Duckfiend Senior Refuge Member

What year is your tundra truck? IMO toyota trucks are the way to go. I had 5 compact pickups with very little to zero failures in my time. It seems if you do the minimum maintenance they last longer and are more reliable than any other option out there. I picked up a beater Trunda last year with 147k miles on it. I hope it goes many more. In my mind it has already paid for itself in how reliable it has been. I just can not believe they discontinued the regular cab in 2017. I know it only make up 0.5% of the sales but I really like the extra space in the bed.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Those old compact Toyotas were basically the US version of the Hilux and tough as hell.

4. stevena198301

5. stevena198301

Had to replace the starter at 280k this week. That was expensive. $250 for the part, $750 for the labor. :eek:

Went ahead and put new shocks, struts and springs on it at that time (all original) since removal of the starter required a re-align. Starter is a PITA due to where it is. You can’t even see it. Hopefully I’m done buying parts for a while, but I doubt it. I still intend to get 400k before I sell it.

6. Duckfiend

$1350 parts and labor for repairs due to unexpected failures in 10 years and 280k miles? I would still say you are getting off easy. I am at $0 for 1.2 years and 25k miles on my tundra.

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Required a an alignment? Where the heck is the starter on that thing? The older ones had the starter under the intake manifold if I remember correctly.

That's just 2-3 months worth of payments; not bad.

8. stevena198301

Under the exhaust manifold. Curbside lower suspension had to be removed. That was due to the leveling kit that’s on it. Had it not been there, it wouldn’t have been necessary. It surely isn’t like replacing one on an old Chevy 350! I could have done that in an autozone parking lot.

tcc likes this.
  9. stevena198301

Well, the starter, exhaust gaskets (manifold has to come off), and shocks/struts were $1677 with labor. I’ve got a bit more than $1350 in repairs, but still relatively cheap, compared to the Ford 6.0 PSD I only kept 6 months and had to replace the turbo y-pipe on before the first month, and the injectors went out at 5 months. I’m still sitting at less than $2500 in repairs total (radiator, starter, suspension, and left bank catalytic converter). After getting it back and putting about 150 miles on it, I don’t think the suspension that was on it was worn out (I just assumed so at that mileage). It rides the same, or maybe just slightly better. I think switching to the BFG KO2s are causing the rougher ride. I know they feel heavier, and they have dropped my MPG enough to not buy another set. They are wearing well though.

10. Duckfiend

I would only consider your gaskets, radiator, and starter premature unexpected failures. To me shocks are like oil and tires (consumables). Nothing wrong with replacing them before being completely worn out. Did you ever service your coolant system (t stat, coolant change)? Your experience is why I alway avoid turbos if possible (does not seem difficult).