Tungsten shot source ?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JohnBZ, Jan 26, 2017.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I used to handload steel shot quite a bit. due to a number of factors at the time I stopped handloading. I still have all my equipment and components. I have recently began handloading centerfire pistol and that has relit my interest in shotgun again. I have always favored handloading for performance over cost savings. That said if it is not at least economically reasonable, I really dont see much of a point. I have began rethinking loading light payloads of small size high density shot. Its taken me 15 years but Im kind of over shooting 3.5". I remember from toward the end of my reloading days there was a few guys pushing the virtues of the 18gcc TSS with ultralight payloads of tiny shot at reasonable velocities. doesnt look like much talk these days about nontox shot loading in general. I guess the point of my long ramble is after looking at the current cost of tungsten at many of the usual sources it has gotten expensive ! not that it was ever cheap but it used to be justifiable. Is there any place to get shot that is priced halfway reasonable ?

2. Windrider

Windrider Elite Refuge Member

HW13 from bucks run is popular.

1 to 1 1/8oz of 6s will harvest ducks to impressive ranges

Jesse Pokrzywinski likes this.
  3. JohnBZ

What is the going rate ? bucks run doesnt have prices on their site

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

235 for 10 lbs. Just ordered 3 lbs tt13 for ballistic products heavier than bucks run 13 according to the chart on a turkey forum I saw.

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Hawglips or Toasty on the board both deal in TSS shot, more money than the RSI HW but it's heavier.

6. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

So will 7/8 oz in a 28 :yes

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

If you review the forums, you will find a lot of data and anecdotal evidence of guys shooting 70-80 yds consistently with light loads in #6 and #7 shot on geese and ducks. I personally don't have the skill the kill birds out that far (or anything much past 35 yds to tell the truth), so I have never been that interested in it, but if I lived in an area where those long shots are the norm, I would certainly take a look at it, if you can afford the $2-4 per shell.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With your success at 25 to 35 yds , why would you need to shoot beyond that distance ?
    I'm with you but I use 45 yds as my outside limit , with a .015 choke !

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Seems about right. I do want to practice more distance shots . I think I'll pick up one of those auto trap throwers and get at it this spring.

10. JohnBZ

I remember seeing posts those guys from when I used to handload. Didnt one of them have that snoopy on the doghouse avatar ? Or am I thinking of someone else. Anyway I may have to contact one of them. Thanks