Tungsten shot source ?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JohnBZ, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Bug Doc

Bug Doc Elite Refuge Member

Glad someone remembers my avatar, if not my name. :nutz

TSS is crazy good, but has gotten quite expensive. I mostly shoot HW13 from Buck's Run nowadays, saving my precious hoard of TSS for special occasions. A mild 1oz load of HW13 6's is devastating on ducks to 50 yards (and a bit beyond), while still giving nice, wide patterns closer up. Here are a few sample patterns:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, I don't have any recipes for SAM1 wads, but just about any Hevi-Shot data can be used.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

As usual beautiful pattern pics Doc. Your getting about what I've been getting with the HW13, around 94-96% at 50 yards.

3. Bug Doc

Bug Doc Elite Refuge Member

The percentages I list on my patterns are what I call the 'critical hit percentage.' It's not a percentage of pellets, but rather the probability that a mallard-sized bird will take a critical hit if placed at random within the pattern circle. I use the free Shotgun Insight software to calculate the probability that a pattern will hit a face-on clay target, which is about the size of the critical area on a mallard. The three patterns above are all in the mid 90's, even though their hit counts are radically different. There's software available now that will allow you to pick different target game and do this calculation, but they require that you use their own fairly expensive target sheets.

Typically I use the most open choke I can that will still achieve a 90% CHP pattern at max range (usually 50 yards). This ensures that I will have the widest effective patterns possible at all ranges.

4. Ohio_Waterfowler

Ohio_Waterfowler Refuge Member

I just bought 2# of #7 TTS from hawglips , looking to duplex it with steel for taking large geese with 20ga. for my girl friend. He has tested Dataand will supply it with purchase of tss from him . TSS really shines through in the smaller gauge guns due to being able to use such small shot pellets and keeping pellet count up . #9 shot on ducks .

5. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

Did you use any this year?? Or just steel?

6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Hey there Bug Doc, very nice patterns there. I've stuck with HEVI 13 too, tho the supershot TSS is tempting. I've been doing fine with 1-1/8 oz of #5s or 6s & 1-3/8 oz od HEVI #4s too.

Ringbill

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have been thinking about switching to a 20 gauge and shooting HD loads. The only problem I see is getting the loads to open up at 30 to 40 yards. I do not like a lot of holes in my birds for table fare.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

A lot of people have been using Skeet type chokes with Hevi /HD. Sometimes all you need is a few thousandths of constriction and guns will pattern nicely a shorter ranges.

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Thanks 10gage,
    Well I am going to pull the trigger as I have been wanting to buy a 20 for a while now. I will post up some patterns as I play with different loads.
    At a club I used to hunt a number of years ago, the guys in the next blind switched to 20's and HD loads and we watched them kill a lot of mallards out to fifty no problem. We saw no fall off in their shots per bird and maybe better results on high birds.

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Just remember pattern density is King no matter which gauge you shoot it out of !
    At what distance are you capable of........is the question you have to ask yourself , as with the proper Steel Shot size , it's adequate for most shooter abilities .