Tungsten shot source ?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JohnBZ, Jan 26, 2017.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Sorry bug doc. I only have so much room upstairs. Seems like every time I learn something new i forget something. Anyways, looks like a heck of a load. Im thinking more and more every day im going to have to pull the trigger on some hw13. How do the hw13 6s fair on geese ? I hardly ever shoot geese outside of decoy range unless they are crippled. Where i live the duck hunting isnt all that great but the goose hunting is excellent. Most of my duck hunts are saved by geese.

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Curious whether slightly overbore barrel diameters with the most open chokes would help a twenty gauge open a pattern of HD. I know in 12's there are makers that bore their barrels a little over. How about in 20's?

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Most of the time it's just trying different loads, shot sizes or chokes. #6 HW or Hevi Shot is real good for sub gauge guns, TSS they are using 9's and having good results.
    This is 16 gauge 1 1/4 oz #6 Hevi Shot @ 40 yards full RemChoke, a bit of a meat grinder so I went to the I/C choke and 1 1/8 oz opened it up real nice and is quite useful.
    16g#6hevi.JPG

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

HEVI loads really shine in a 20 ga gun. That's how I got sold on the stuff-------I bought some Remington HEVI shot shells for my wife's 2o. She proved to me how deadly they were & I started to reload HEVI after that.
    What I did to get my HEVI loads to pattern at close range, out of my TERROR choke (Mod), is I built some shells with a spreader insert I put into the shotcup. That way, if my first shot is 25---30 yards, I'm covered with the spreader load & my 2nd & 3rd shots (or just the 3rd shot?) I have my regular HEVI LOAD with my mod choke for the 35---45 yard followups.
    It works for me, because I'm generally shooting ducks at 35---50 yards.

Ringbill

5. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

6. Bug Doc

Bug Doc Elite Refuge Member

Oddly enough, I haven't shot any geese with HW13 #6. I can't imagine it would be a problem out to 40 yards or so. With the dense patterns, you'll probably find it results in a lot of head & neck hits. I have used a lot of Heavyweight 6's on geese (density 15g/cc), and it hits like fireballs from Hades. :flame

I actually had a pro guide recommend steel 4's the other day for greaters. He only calls the shot for his clients when the birds are in your face, so I'm guessing the smaller shot results in more head, neck, & wing hits and fewer butt-shot birds sailing off. I felt severely over-gunned with my Wingmaster 2's.

7. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

Let's talk a bit about safety. Who knows the numbers? In the back of my mind I have some concern on public ground. What kind of energy does the heavier than lead shot carry as it rains down 150 yards away? What if someone is packing dead coyote scrapping at snows 150 -200 yards away from me?

8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I started this thread for the purpose of sourcing tungsten and information to hand load small payloads of small shot in order to reduce recoil without sacrificing much in performance. What does some bonehead launching dead coyote at geese have to do with handloading payloads of an ounce or less of size 6 or smaller shot ?

9. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The laws of physics dictate that because HEVI & SIMILAR shot is heavier than steel, it will carry energy further. Yes, raining Hevi coyote on the guy in the next blind 150 yds away is going to raise a ruckus. If you were to direct it more horizontally at him, it's going to penetrate. Try decoying the birds in tighter to you. Shoot 6s instead of Coyote Hevi, & make everbody happy duckers.

Ringbill

10. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

It has nothing to do with your original post. Just a thought that popped into my head reading it and in the field a few times. Figured the folks responding have a pretty good idea about the energy of the specialty shot.