Tungsten Spheres 18g/cc shells

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by stuwest, Sep 14, 2009.

1. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

Fall season opened here saturday and I found out I had no shells left over from the spring...

OK, time to make some more. I use the Federal FlightControl wadded lead shells and re-fill them with TungstenSpheres 18g/cc #9 pellets.

I buy the lead shells, cut the top off them with a carpet knife and pour out the lead.

Then I weigh out an equivalent or lighter amount of Tungsten Spheres pellets. I pour them in and mark their height. Empty them back out and cut the shell & wad down to 1/4" over the pellets.

Pour the TS back in and fill to the top with 47 buffer. Shake/tap well. After 3-4 minutes, I place a slit 20ga cardboard cap over top (scored on 90 degrees nearly to the center) and roll crimp it in.

I've usually marked the shot size on the cardboard. I then fill the 1/8" with candle wax.

WahLa! a finished 80 yard shell. Costs me about $4 start to finish.

If people are interested, I'll do pictures as well. One really doesn't need a crimping/resizing press to make some of the hottest shells on the market...

2. Undrcoverrednek

Undrcoverrednek Refuge Member

Would you please post pictures and patterns of your results? Also, are you using Tungsten Super Shot @ 18 g/cc or Tungsten Spheres @ 14-15 g/cc? I got those numbers from the websites. Thanks.

3. stuwest

Not a problem. I'll be able to do some pictures tomorrow and will post them if I can get them thru PhotoBucket. I have real problems with them.

I probably won't shoot paper on these as my biggest concerns on densities over 15 are getting the pattern to disperse enuf to be usable at short ranges...

As far as density is concerned, I use the 18g/cc solely for turkey hunting and then for shots over 40 yards only. It doesn't open up enuf to be usable until then!!

I do use the 14-15g/cc quite a bit, but mostly for ducks and geese. The #5 15g pellets are LETHAL on greaters out to 60+ yards!!

4. stuwest

[​IMG]

Sorry about these pictures. Didn't have much lite to work with.

Trim the hull. Cut the wad about 1/8th inch shorter than the hull, so you can fold the hull over when it is full.

[​IMG]

Weigh the shot. I usually match the shot load from the shell, but you can use less also. DO NOT USE MORE.

[​IMG]

Close is fine. Even one#9 pellet is enuf to throw this scale over the edge.
    Don't forget to sift in Buffer at this stage also. (I didn't do a picture of this. Sorry)

[​IMG]

Score the OverShot card.

[​IMG]

Use a Roll Crimper to fold over the top of the shell.

[​IMG]

I use candle wax to finish the tops. Waterproofs and locks in the shot.

5. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

tell me why anyone would want to even think about shooting a turkey at 80 yards with a shotgun? the game is getting the old bird close.

you might as well use a rifle.

old

6. stuwest

Old-
    It's pretty unusual for you and I to differ in opinion, but this may be one of those places.

True, the most fun is being able to call a bird in to where you can count the scales on their legs. It's a lot of fun. And, I'd never take that away from anyone.

However, situations do occur when birds come in and hang up on the way, maybe 50 or more yards out. This is a tool for that situation.

I've used these shells for the old birds that seem to hold farther out than the younger jakes who rush in to battle.

This past spring I had two meat tags left in the third season. I'd taken a nice bird early and wasn't really 'beard' hunting anymore. I was 'pot' hunting, so to speak.

Well, two jakes crossed at 68 yards and we had meat for 4 days at the peak of our most recent recession. Worked for me...

7. LA.Call'emClose

LA.Call'emClose Elite Refuge Member

shoot, our woods are so thick durring the spring that there are few places that you could see a bird from 80 yards away.

8. stuwest

Then it's easy, use these shells as brush reducers.

Actually, as a side note, when i did the aforementioned 68yd double, I shot first and blew up a 4" limb about 10 yards from my stand. The birds were nervous about all the noise, but didn't run away. So I lined up on the larger of the two birds again and let go. Just as I shot, the second jake ran behind him and wahla, both of my tags filled...

9. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Seems Like alot of work that some heavy shot turkey loads in 20 gauge would do the same. #4 heavy 1 1/4 oz will stone a bird just as far. and i can buy these shells for 1 dollar a round.

10. stuwest

It's not a lot of work. I did three shells in 2o minutes the other day.

HS is a 12g/cc material and this stuff is 18g/cc. It kills proportionately further.
    So if you were successful at 50 yards with HS, you'll be successful at 75 yards with the 18g pellets. Simple physics.

All the turkey competitors are using 18g pellets now.

My shells would also be a lot cheaper if I didn't want to use the FliteControl wads. I have to buy complete shells and scavenge the wads...