Tungsten Spheres 18g/cc shells

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by stuwest, Sep 14, 2009.

1. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that we are overloading the shells. I'm actually putting 20% less payload into a shell than it was designed for to compensate for some of the concerns you list. All of them are serious, but I'd rather run a lite fast shell than a heavy high pressure one. No where do we suggest that payloads can/should be run up. In fact, we point out, given the tendency of HD payloads to pattern tighter, that you can run LIGHTER LOADS and take advantage of the consequent safety. Kyle even found that 3/4oz loads patterned very close to 1-1/4oz loads...

Anytime that someone is using different components than have been pressure tested, the load SHOULD be run thru a pressure gun. In practice, few are. Wads are used interchangably; buffers are interchanged; hulls are interchanged, primers are interchanged. NONE of these SHOULD be substituted, but all are on a daily basis. Studying this venue (reloading shotshells) is critical to determining which substitutions are 'safe' and which ones aren't.

It's kinda like crossing a street, i.e. it's never going to be perfectly safe, so eventually, you just step into the street after you believe you have done a reasonable job of reducing the risk to a manageable level. I think we are there. You do not. It's a personal decision and I must admit that I've been accused of crossing some very busy streets rather casually...

When I started this thread, I wanted to show that HD pellets can be used without needing a press, i.e. roll crimping (a GREAT pressure reducer, BTW!!) I would not have written about it if it had a big likelihood of causing problems (i.e. changing the primer/pwder combo, the hull capacity, increasing payload, etc.) Going to a reduced payload in a wad/primer/powder load that HAS been tested is not likely to be a big risk.

BUT, like crossing a street, it's wise to look both ways before you step out. If one wants to spend the $100 having a load pressure tested, I will even furnish a couple of shells for the test (that way I KNOW they were properly compiled) Any offers???

2. Jake Windemere

Jake Windemere Senior Refuge Member

It is kinda like changing or adding engine oil without ever checking the dip stick.

Good luck with that.

3. stuwest

I was just thinking that it might be interesting to have pellets made with 'dimples' in their surface similar to golf balls. Should reduce surface friction and cause pellet to retain maximum energy!!!

Oil dipstick remark: Hey I resemble that!!! Last change was 15k!!! Glad I'd put in synthetic!!!

4. stuwest

One issue we will have here is that Kyle is making 18G (TSS) only in #7 shot smallest and selling at a VERY affordable $24/lb,

while Tungsten Sphere IS making smaller sizes (#8s & #9s) but at a WHOPPING $89/lb...

ICH!!!

OTOH, for goose hunters, Kyle is making #4s, should be a great pellet for LONG range geese...

5. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Would that #4 be like shooting a BBB in lead ? :D

6. hawglips

hawglips Senior Refuge Member

I'm bringing in 18g/cc #9s at $36/lb, and place orders for it whenever enough guys want some to justify it. Just let me know if anyone is interested in getting some. I can get 9s and 8s...

7. stuwest

hey, i'm interested ina lb of 8s...
    can i paypal you?

8. hawglips

hawglips Senior Refuge Member

Stu, I may have some left over depending on whether everybody that reserved some takes it or not. I'll keep you posted on that.

9. stuwest

well, if any of those scoflaws don't pay, i will step up!!! $10 per shell for the payload alone is getting to even MY budget...

10. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Hal
    keep me in the loop also please !

not sure if i will have the extra to do it. But I do want to load some for next spring.