Tungsten Spheres 18g/cc shells

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by stuwest, Sep 14, 2009.

1. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

I am thinking of using a double barrel this season with #8 18g (can't get 9s)

Was thinking of an IC in one barrel and a M or F or XF in the other.

Probably run 1-1/2 at 1400fps.

Seems this would be the right combo to have an optimized 10yd barrel and a 60+ yard barrel right beside it.

Anyone tried this??

2. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Only person that may know would be Hawglips.

I have a Ruger 28 that I would love to hunt with some day.

The .410 loads that's been loaded , I think by Hal, correct me if I'm wrong Hal, but they are smoking tough at 40 yards.

3. hawglips

hawglips Senior Refuge Member

Stu, at sub-1200fps speeds the 18g/cc 8s will punch through whatever it hits in awesome order. So, IMO, the 1400 velocity is quite unnecessary for turkeys, even if you are out there at 60 yds, and beyond. #8s at 1175 or so will penetrate at 60 yards a tad better than copper plated lead #4s at "high velocity" will do at 40 yds.

With #8s, you will benefit more by increasing the pellet count than by increasing the speed, IMO. You're going to have only about 375 pellets with 1-1/2 oz, and the pattern will break down WAY before the pellets lose their lethality. Those 8s are like the energizer bunny, they keep going and going.... For turkeys, 1-1/2 oz of #8s at 1400fps would just be piling on the strength, and not addressing the limiting factor. The additional speed won't improve the load any it seems to me. And based on the pressure tests I've seen on with the 18g/cc shot, it's probably going to be touch and go to get 1-1/2 oz. of that shot up to 1400fps without putting your eye and scratching up things.

I think if you want one 10 yd barrel, you should go with cylinder if you can. And Xfull in the other. I shoot an Xfull choke (.690 invector) for turkeys and have no trouble at the close ranges.

By the way, I held some nines for you for a while but they are gone now. I may still have one bag of 2.2mm (slightly over 8-1/2s) left. The pellet count on them goes about 278 per ounce....

Skie, my .410 loads (3/4 oz) are done now, and are giving me about 100 in the 10" circle at 40 yds. It's a bonafide 40 yard .410 turkey load!

4. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Hal

I know I said it before....that .410 load does better at 40 than some 12 ga lead loads I have shot in years past.

Do you think that you could stretch that .410 to 45 yards because of the lethality of the tungsten spheres ?

Brice

5. hawglips

hawglips Senior Refuge Member

Brice,

Yes. It will probably kill consistently at 50 yds, given the counts at 40 yds. But that's with my .410. I'm not sure using an NEF Pardner or the likes with the fixed full choke would be able to do that. I shot a few out of my full choke Pardner and got about 20-30% fewer pellets in the 10". It would just be a matter of getting a dense enough pattern. The pattern density is the limiting factor since the shot is so nasty.