Tuning that call for actual waterfowl calling?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

So I went the route of tuning my calls maybe to high and squeaky, I am trying to say when I back them off and can feel/hear the reed buzz more they seem more effective. So to me that is is lower than the squeaky high pitched call. When I first blow the call I think to myself I gotta get this higher, but when using it in the field it really works on turning geese. Not that deep moaning grrrrrrrrr. sound.

Thanks for all the input!

2. jellotree

jellotree Refuge Member

I don't hunt geese anymore these days. I developed some confidence in calling ducks a few years ago and had gotten reasonably good at it (at least the ducks think so, lol). I hunt a lake Erie public marsh. So even though it's Canada, the competition is stiff and the ducks aren't stupid. You have to get on the mallards quick and convince them to work to you before they get over another group of hunters or get sight of the 1000s of birds sitting in the resting and/or feeder ponds.

Anyways, I notice the trend in a lot of sound files guys putting out (I'm talking average dudes, not the pros) is to do those long, deep, boss hen sounds (that honestly often sound much deeper in tone to any duck I've heard that's doing anything exciting, lol). I've tried that stuff out in the field and don't get a response from it at all. I started tuning my duck calls to run lighter and asked the call maker to losen them up a bit (hold wise). I honestly think a lot of fellas tune their calls too heavy for their abilities. I get the best reaction from ducks with fast choppy greatings and various variations there of. I finish them with clucks and quacks. When the ducks are listening (and some days I'm pretty sure they're just plain old deaf, lol) it's pretty much clockwork.