Turd floater in North Texas

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Greekangler, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

got 6 inches yesterday alone. Fortunately pulled a foot board Thursday. Will take a good week to recede. Will this drown out all my grass. I know BYG tends to be very tolerant- as long as the tops not under water more than a few days.

My 5 foot emergency spillway is probably under water- it kicks water out of there pretty good. Massive watershed.

Any thoughts? Will a get a good response w more BYG or spragletop this late?

2. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

No firm answers. It depends on how long its submerged and if you get more rain.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

IMG_3504.JPG Damn near got the same yesterday in a 24 hr period. Dumped 4.5" from the rain gauge ... half my place is flooded but most of the corn areas are on a little higher ground than the m-s thank goodness.

STL11 likes this.
  4. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Dang JFG. As long as it is not being washed downstream you should be able to salvage alot 9f your moist soil. Is that your pump or dewatering system on the dock? Looks like you will have plenty of food this Fall!!!

5. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

There's going to be plenty of food and groceries in TX this year- we got about 9 inches 48 hours. Wetland blew over emergency spillway and dam. Massive watershed. Dropped about 7 feet from crest. Dirt work on its way.

Attached Files:

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

We should be alright Hannibal. Unit is self contained so we won't loose any ms in that it would go to the V ditches. And yes, that is our dewatering pump over the main interior ditch. We had the water low all during the growing season but had let it start filling (rain) since we're done with the corn. Ground has been a little dry so expect some fair absorption- provided it doesn't rain like that anytime soon.

Greek, looks like you're gonna be busy for awhile. You know we're always wishing for rain but sometimes we get more than we bargained for! Hope it works out for ya.