Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Turkey Beard Display Ideas?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by TEAMGTG, Mar 21, 2010.

1. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

I've collected beards and spurs from quite a few hunts, and have quite a collection of various sized turkey beards that I want to display. Just wondering if anyone would have any unique ideas of building some type of display board, shelf, or some unique form of hanging or displaying them. I'm well aware of factory options for beard displays, but I'm looking for a very unique way to display these. I have access to almost any type of wood and natural materials. Photos would be appreciated if available! Thank you!

2. callemquacktn

callemquacktn Senior Refuge Member

I cut the high brass off of my shell & push the primer out. Then I make a loop with decoy string & run it through the primer hole. Get a hot glue gun & put a blob of glue in the inside to hold the loop in place give you something to hold the beard in there. Now take the trimmed up end on the beard & stick it into the brass and glue. Fill in around the void area with glue.
    Now get an old piece of barn wood & put you a couple lines of nails into it. Hang the beards by the loops on the nail.

3. DUXRUS2002

DUXRUS2002 Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

Nothing special...a weathered board with rusy nails

Every beard is in the original shotgun brass with a leather boot strap loop. Some of them have the spurs also. I wish I had saved all my beards over the years and really regreat not keeping the spurs....

Oh, Well I guess I will just have to go shoot more. :grvn

4. callemquacktn

callemquacktn Senior Refuge Member

Me too!! I just started on mine & have found that mice have gotten abunch of beards that were piled up in a box. Now I have a box full of beard strands. That and I have some on some turkey fan mounts.

Don't even get me started on the spurs. I was ****ed at how bad of shape they are in !!

5. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

Fellas :clap
    Thank you so much!!
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!! Sure wish our Merriams turkeys had those big 'ol paintbrush beards though :l

6. Duck Fever

Duck Fever Elite Refuge Member

I have an "oar" with a turkey scene engraved on it that I display my beards from. I'll take a pic. Looks pretty cool.

7. TX - Gunner

TX - Gunner New Member

DUXRUS2002 - how exactly do you do those beards? Step by step. That is one nice display!!!! Very jealous!!!! Thanks!

8. DUXRUS2002

Exactly like Callem posted above.....with the addition of taking a bone saw to cut the leg bone just below and just above each spur. Peel the skin off and rinse the spurs before just threading each onto the bootstrap before gluing to the brass. The leg bone is hollow leaving you a pre made hole. :tu

****You will need gloves because the brass will get HOT :flame

9. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Can you post up a close up picture of the beard? I really like that idea.

Tom

10. DUXRUS2002

[​IMG]

I left about 1/4" of the plastic on this one instead of cutting it all the way off.

The legs have to be fresh and not dry if you plan on cutting the spurs off like this. Once dry they are VERY brittle and will ****ter as you cut thru them.