Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Turkey Beard Display Ideas?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by TEAMGTG, Mar 21, 2010.

1. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks alot. I really like that and will defintly have to do that with my Beards and spurs. Right now I just throw them on a shelf in my gun cabinet.

Tom L

2. Cripplecreek

Cripplecreek Senior Refuge Member

I do mine in a similar way. You can put a little brass cleaner on to polish them up. On the spurs, I've seen people have a long string with a bunch on them. It looks pretty good.

[​IMG]

3. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

I ended up using some 7mm Rem-mag cases, cut them to 1" from the belt, used a step drill, and opened up the primer pocket hole, looped leather lace through the primer pocket and used a decoy crimp to hold the leather. I then pulled it up inside the shell, hot-glued it, then hot glued the beard in. Some beards had to be pinched a little with pliers to fit inside the case, but the glue held them nice. I've been saving the spurs for sometime. I cut them with a hack saw or band saw off the leg about 3/8" on either side of the spur, then boil 'em for a bit to soften the skin, marrow, and spur material. Use an exacto knife to trim the skin from around the spur, and off the bone, and wire brush the gristle off the bone. Now set them in a plastic sour cream container (spur up), and pour enough hydrogen peroxide to soak up to the bottom of the spur cartilage. Leave them in there for a full day, and check them. Once they're white, I remove them, let them dry, and use a stone in the drill press to round the edges of the bone neatly to make them a little softer in appearance. I paint them with my wifes fingernail preservative, then string them up after that with leather or I've seen some nice ones with turqoise and wooden beads too. Once I get the piece of wood I'm looking for I'll post a picture.

4. Beretta man

Beretta man Elite Refuge Member

You paint them with your wife's fingernail preservative? I always new you had a softer side to you.:l:l

5. commander019

commander019 Elite Refuge Member

Here is how I do mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. perch jerker

perch jerker Senior Refuge Member

Thanks guys. Some great Ideas.

7. Moody

Moody Senior Refuge Member

:clap All very cool ideas. I've got a fan and two beards that I was wondering what to do with, until now. Very original and cool. Thanks!

8. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Well just got my stuff all put together, Alot better then just having them all shoved into the back of my gun cabinet. In the future going to make the loop shorter. Have plenty of room to add more.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Tom L

9. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Those look great guys! Thanks for posting the pics as it set the wheels in motion in my head. :tu

10. buckwrapperjr

buckwrapperjr Elite Refuge Member

That sure is a nice peice of wood Tom :dv