Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Turkey Birds?

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Jon C, Apr 20, 2017.

1. sno

sno Refuge Member

Good job
    Nice bird

Jon C likes this.
  2. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Went out 1st season and 3 days during 3rd. Called in Jakes, haven't found Tom ....

They were gobbling like crazy yesterday morning.

Been fun every outting.

Shrooms have been plentiful :grvn

Jon C likes this.
  3. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Well the weekend forecast doesn't look good for turkey hunting. I'm taking my oldest boy out to try and bag his first turkey. The elements will be against us for sure, but he is still pumped up. Can't shoot them from the couch so we will be out there.

4. Jon C

Well we gave it a go..didnt hear or see a bird....but got plenty wet

5. Jon C

We never saw or heard a turkey this weekend

6. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Gonna be a rough year around here for the hatch. Seen hens the latest two days along roadsides. 12-13" if rain since Wed night have likely flooded most nests. Never seen this much water in Crab and it's still rising.

7. Jon C

Yes very worried about next year's hatch lots of creeks out of their banks and road ditches filled up..not good

8. Redleggs

Redleggs Senior Refuge Member

I've been turkey hunting for 30 years. I've never seen as difficult conditions as this year in the Midwest.

Between Illinois and Missouri I've had a little over 20 days to hunt so far with yet a bird in hand. Usually I have three or four by now.

I have had several close calls with finger on the trigger on at least four occassions but did not get to release the safety. I've had a lifetimes worth of 50 plus yard hung up gobblers in one season. I will not take a shot over 40 yards even though my gun patterns well out much father. A couple of those while hens were strutting over my hen decoy. I did swing and miss on one surprise bird that snuck in on me at a less than dedireable angle.

I've called in at least 10 hens and heard well over 1000 gobbles between roosts and ground gobbling while walking close to a hundred miles so it's not for lack of effort and don't get me wrong it's been an entertaining season.

Missouri birds on public ground proved particularly challenging this year. I seemed to be one trick or day short of solving the puzzle. Those birds have seen it all and done most of it twice. If you bag one you have really accomplished something.

The weather has literally shut things down on at least ten of those 20 days. If not gale force winds it was torrential rains with extreme temperature swings.

On top of all this the new second youth weekend in the south IL zone being directly adjacent to the first south regular opener made birds particularly nervous in areas I hunted as the weekend woods traffic between youth hunters, regular season pre-scouters and mushroom hunters was ridiculous.

DNR needs to stagger this next year to give a week buffer in the south zone. Just like they did in the Noth zone. Hear that Luke Garver? ( new DNR turkey project manager.) The traffic in the woods was down right dangerous in some locales.

Now in south central and southern Il and parts of Mo record flooding is eliminating a lot of territory and will cause re-nesting extensively. I've had 6.75 inches rain since Wednesday at home and over 10 inches in the last two weeks.

I still have about 11 days left between two Il zones and Mo. I sure hope the weather improves. I have not gone a season in those thirty years without bagging a bird and I don't want to start now but even then if I do not it's been a good challenging season.

Jon C likes this.
  9. PLATINUMWINDOW99

PLATINUMWINDOW99 Senior Refuge Member

Great season 2017 20170404_103105 (450x800) (360x640).jpg 20170404_103105 (450x800) (360x640).jpg in Illinois filled 3 permits, at 74 still getting it done.... hope 2018 will be just as good..

Attached Files:

BDW, ixkaped2, auto5 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jon C

Very nice congrats on your season