Turkey broadheads

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Trophyduck, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Suggestions on broadheads? I was just going to use my deer setup. Any reason I shouldn't? I am real curious on the guillotine-type heads......Do they fly well or are they a pain to get flying true? I know each setup likes something different. Just curious if it's worth my time and $$ to buy some.....thanks
    Oh, one more.....I was going to have my daughter use my FIL's crossbow. Do the Guillotine heads fly out of crossbows?

2. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I use spitfires work just fine for deer or turkey

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Deer heads will work. Right above the leg. I like Magnus Bullheads for bigger bladed heads. They fly consistent for me.

4. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I have been using the Bullheads for several years now. I'm dialing in a new bow today and have been cutting turkey head sized potatoes up to 20 yards. I highly recommend them. If your bow is tuned correctly they fly very consistently.

Short slow motion video of some potato carnage. I have no idea why it's over a minute long. It's a 12 second video on my phone.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys! Hey I have a curiosity question about these Bullheads....what if you "miss" and actually body shoot them, do they still kill? Everything says if you miss you don't have a wounded bird, which is great....But I was wondering what happens if you accidentally hit the bird.....

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I've hit a bird in the wing at 25 yards that was walking away. The arrow bounced off the bird and the bird flew away. I suppose if you hit the bird in the breast it's going to get cut, but I don't see that bird ending up dead from that wound. They likely get beat up more by spurs in a fight.

I've killed turkeys with standard broad heads and I've had a lot of success with them. I like the idea of a quick clean kill with a head shot and the bullhead gives me a nice cutting diameter. There's nothing wrong with fixed blade heads. It's just personal preference.

7. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

I bounced a bullhead off the side of a Tom last year Spring and there was no ill effect for him. I also shot one head on two years ago and him low at the base of the neck and got about 5" of penetration and he made it about 10 yards. It took two of us to pull that bullhead out, one to pull the arrow and one to hold the bird.

8. Birdsnspurs

Birdsnspurs Refuge Member

Bullheads. Tune your bow to them by shooting into a couple pillows

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I shot mine into an old used up foam block (black hole, I think). Went through, about 5" past, then I'd just unscrew the BH, and pull arrow back out. 60LB bow, at ~20 yards.

10. ApprenticeDG

ApprenticeDG Refuge Member

I have used grim reaper broadheads. Have not used the hybrid yet but plan to!