Turkey vs. Armadillo

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSU86, Feb 26, 2018.

1. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

I am seeing a disturbing trend on my Central KS farm. Ten years ago, while tootling around the property, (post duck season) I would normally see 15-20 turkey vs. never any armadillo.

Over the last 3 years, I have noticed a significant drop in turkey sightings and a very significant increase in armadillo sightings.

Saturday, I was tending to some chores on the farm and ran into three armadillos (around lunchtime). I never saw a turkey, or any signs.

Any study’s or evidence the diseases (leprosy) armadillos carry impact turkey?

Do armadillos have any natural predators? Should I start carrying the 20 gauge in the mule and whack as many as I can? Can I make an impact on the population or just a waste of shells?

2. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  3. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Kill em all each 1 is one less to raid nests. As is any varmits

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

As stated always heard they eat turkey eggs. I kill every one I see.

5. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

If they spread chicken litter for fertilizer gaurentee you will lose your birds as well chicken carry disease that turkeys cant tolerate in cherokee county the turks are hurting in a bad way between overhunting,nest raiders,chicken s-it, they are on a collision course with no way out to the destruction of the population thanks KDWPT for leading the way in allowing overhunting and the chicken litter to be spread on our soils seen flocks go from 400 to less than 40 in one year only change was chicken litter for fertlizer

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’m interested in this theory (seriously). Have you seen any studies backing it up?

Chicken poo is the most common fertilizer used around my parts for crops.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Hmmmmm....everything I can find on armadillos says they eat insects, with some plant matter and some reptiles/amphibians.....but not eggs.
    Here's a good source of information: http://www.havahart.com/armadillo-facts#diet

Neck Collar likes this.
  8. Ksoutdoors

Ksoutdoors New Member

Certainly doesn't help when we have outfitters killing 100+ toms every spring. The number of raccoons that seem to be around have to be hurting numbers as well.

9. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Just about every animal out there eats eggs , armadillos included . Raccoons are especially damaging to turkey populations as they will catch a brood roosting and take out the whole brood in one night. Bobcats are another main predator of turkeys .

Neck Collar and stevena198301 like this.
  10. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

How long they been using it around you its been over 10 years here 20 yrs ago some turkey hunters stop at the farm they were from nw ark they said they had very little turkey left there. Told me when they start using it you will lose your birds a friend had a flock of over 400 birds on his place neighbor spread litter across the section went from 400 to less than 40 in 5 months. I believe there are states that ban using it as fertilizer. chickens carry coccidiosis it is deadly for turkeys, look it up that is where the turkeys went

WHUP ! Hen likes this.