Turkey vs. Armadillo

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSU86, Feb 26, 2018.

1. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

So do coons if that stuff is available. They arent turning down a nice pile of eggs...

2. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

In cherokee county thats about all that is used anymore hard on quail as well say good bye to your turks and quail when it gets to your area just my observation dont have scientific proof but google coccidiosis and wild turkeys it will tell you it is highly deadly to them

3. ED Vanderbeck

We have seen the outfitters in the past they would bring in a tent big enough for the ringling brothers circus be 20+ trucks around for 3-4 weeks thats got to really help the population as well taking hundreds of toms out of breeding populations got to hurt the overall flock health. In my opinion I think there are hens not even getting bred here. Rarely ever see little ones anymore couple years ago our game warden told me he drove over 4 hours before seeing a turkey in this county

4. ED Vanderbeck

I am speaking about cherokee county not saying all of se kansas has no turkeys. I drive 50 miles a day to work and back mostly on gravel and only see a few turkeys sometimes its weeks apart seeing any

5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

If it was armadillos Texas and Oklahoma would be devoid of turkeys. Poor nesting weather, habitat changes, and pressure are the main drivers. I used to have some info from the state that showed resident turkey permits had remained flat while NR went up 500% from 2000 to 2010 I believe were the years. Now a turkey sees a vehicle it runs for the next county, they ignored you years ago. I bought my property in 2013 and my unofficial trail cam survey shows numbers down 66% since 2013.

The state knows something is wrong. They wants to drop to one bird spring and one fall or two spring and no fall season but the tourism arm one out again. Mr. Rider at least agrees something needs to be done and their surveys show it.

Neck Collar and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Unsure. I’m relatively new to HSV (12 years). Haven’t asked, but I’ll dig around when I get back in town.

7. DornCounty

DornCounty Senior Refuge Member

not true.. I have data going back 40 years on a route I survey for quail pops. Quail pops on this route are stable since the late 90's. Turkey litter has been used in and around this route for 5 or 10 years. Turkey pops seem stable also, but I don't do a formal survey on that. The worst thing for quail in SE KS is the succession of mature trees and the loss of prairie.

8. DornCounty

DornCounty Senior Refuge Member

You need to look closer. I see turkeys.. even on public hunting lands.

9. ED Vanderbeck

Cherokee county is a lot different than neosho county on turkey population every mile section has chicken litter spread on it if its not public look it up coccidious kills turkeys and chickens carry it.there are a few pockets were you will see 15-20 birds where you used to see hundreds now ya see very small groups talk to the guys in cherokee county before you say they are here because there gone. I was refering to my own county not all of sek. Ask Bussone about turkey population here he told me he drove 4 hrs before seeing 1 tom in my county. Just a observation on them but maybe you could show me all the turkeys that are here because the farmers are not seeing them either. My buddy used to take kids turkey hunting for years killed as many as 60 in a year says he is lucky to kill his 2 the last couple of years. I bet we have 10% of what we once had here. Before ice storms and chicken litter, and flooding. Not trying to be a azz just telling ya what i see here everyday No turkeys

10. Mallets

Mallets Elite Refuge Member

IMO...The single most detrimental thing on turkeys is humans...Never in history has the guiding industry seen the numbers it has right now! Seems like there is a new outfitter popping up weekly...One outfitter can wipe out a local flock in one season...Turkeys are creatures of habit..Same roost...Same strut grounds...Same food plots...(feeders if your a guide) turkeys simply are easy to kill if you know the area!

Once duck season is over...Outfitters switch to geese...Once goose season is over outfitters switch to turkeys...If you hunt multiple states you can keep a crew running darn near year around...Kansas is missing the boat by not tapping into this revenue stream...Guides need to pay for what they are taking! BOTH FISH AND WILDLIFE>>>

Look at the World Championship turkey hunt in Linn County..(I can't say that without laughing)! Not really sure how many turkeys get checked in for that event but I bet its a flock killer number since there is prize money and brag status attached to it! I hope they have a Wicked good time!

And for once I am gonna agree with Ed...Turkey numbers are way way way down in Eastern Kansas...I spend a lot of time in the woods around here and I am positive the turkey numbers are alarmingly low!

I would guess its not the Chicken litter Ed...I would look at your buddy...60 a year is a flock killer!