Turkey vs. Armadillo

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by KSU86, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

The out of staters in cherokee county is of the charts missouri and oklahoma and arkansas just to name a few. We are overrun with all these guys. I knew a old guy years ago always said the problem was to many white men. I wonder how many are killed and not tagged i bet the number would scare you betting 30 % anyways. here our turkeys are all but gone thanks to the poison being put into our soil. Look it up and it will never leave the soil once it is in it. If its toxic to turkeys how can it not be the problem the great die offs happened because of ice,floods,and and other things carried by foreign contaminates. Pesticides,herbicides,and coccidious and the likes and parasites introduced by toxic farming practices. IE (chicken litter) if it kills domestic turkeys how can it not kill wild birds?

2. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

A Guide in north Central Kansas guided 97 kills last spring. That was what he told me. That's just one bubba. I heard another big outfit in central KS tagged 400.

Not good. People keep paying and we suffer the consequences.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  3. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Im also of many turkeys being killed but not tagged. I have heard stories of guys only buying one tag but shooting two or three. And yes our Turkey population in southeast Kansas is down I'm sure there are pockets or birds in places like always but overall it is way way down.

Ramblingman and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  4. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Central KS: . I have witnessed a precipitous decline in turkey populations since about 2007.

If you simply look at the winter flocks around here, it hits you right in the face..... where 200+ bird flocks were common have been reduced to 50 to 75. Some winter grounds are devoid of ANY turkey.

I have been writing to KDWPT about this for years.

Last year, the first time in my life I didn't fill my tags. In the past, I would pass on gobblers strutting in the dekes all spring to keep my season going and look for dominant / trophy Toms.

It's gotten downright tough out here.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  5. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Kdwp selling the hell out of tags just the same as when we had lots of birds. When wildlife management is used to make money like this state the real loser is the wildlife. Dont need a college degree to figure that one out.

Ramblingman likes this.
  6. dux/24 7

I don't have much faith in many Outfitters or hunting shows for that reason making their people tag Birds. For instance how many hunting shows do you watch especially turkey hunting shows have you ever seen someone place a tag on a bird which by law is the first thing you're supposed to do before you even pick it up let alone pose for the camera take pictures or show yourself fading off into the distance like a hero. How many turkeys do you reckon Nationwide are killed off camera by bow hunting shows alone. Lots of people have told me when they're bow hunting turkeys are just a bonus so I'm sure they're just shooting them.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I can honestly say, the outfitter hunt I won out there, the outfitter did his part in ensuring we had tagged our birds when we got back each day (we hunted unguided and did tag all birds killed). He even made sure we were legal before leaving by rechecking everything, and putting each hunters beards, legs, and tails together to avoid confusion (turkeys had been cleaned and meat put in coolers). Good thing also... when we got into MO, there was a game check roadblock, and they were busting guys left and right for turkeys not tagged. We breezed through.

Jump ahead one year, and that guy had moved on to another state, and another fella (a local) was running it. Luckily we knew the drill, because he sure as hell didn’t.

dux/24 7 likes this.
  8. dux/24 7

Nice. Good thing you are by the book.That check point couldve been costly.
    :tu

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

No doubt! That was a hilarious stop, BTW. Father in law had some kind of diabetes shot wrapped up in ziplocs in the cooler. The young warden checking us had me come to the back of the truck while he pilfered the cooler. He sees the rolled up ziplocs, and starts yelling “dope, dope, we got dope!”. The older GW assisting him runs over all excited, looks at the baggie, and says “put that back, it’s diabetes medicine, I take the same one.”, and gave him a look like “you effin idiot...”. I straight up laughed at the dude. The older GW just looked at me, smiled, and told me to get back in the truck and have a good day. I’m sure he got an earful once we left. He was a jumpy little prick, and the look on his face from the deflation was priceless. :l

dux/24 7 and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  10. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Senior Refuge Member

I've watched the turkey populations in ne missouri and eastern iowa go the same direction that you guys are seeing in ks. Nebraska will be next.

The troubling thing is that nobody/biologists have an answer, many theories, but no definite cause(s). At least none that they are sharing with the public.

mdc is about complete with a several year study they are doing near my farm in ne mo where they trapped and put transmitters on several turkeys. I am anxious to see the results, but not confident we will get the whole story.

For now i guess the saying "you cant stock pile wildlife" makes the most sense. Mofo nature seems to eventually even things out.