TV hunting & Huge bait piles

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by huntinjunkie, Aug 5, 2016.

1. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

Anyone else sick of seeing huge bucks shot on managed ranches over piles of mysterious pink dust or feeding on the ground behind a well placed log? When did "hunting" get left out of the "hunting show?"
    Living in Maine I could drop any one of these guys in the woods and say "there is a 150 class buck within a half mile of you right now...find it and kill it" and I bet the percentage would be < 10% who could do it in 2 weeks of solid hunting.
    I bet Fred Bear must be rolling over in his grave and I don't know how Gordan Eastman can watch this change go on!

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Lots of things to worry about, going through life. This isn't high on my list.

EasternShoreman and hpd503 like this.
  3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I do get a chuckle out of some these "professional hunters" that hunt on bait piles that has been well scouted and set up for them. Show up and shoot. Often times these hunts are comped for the advertisement in return. Notice how they are always hunting with their god friends at XYZ outfitters? Often times these "celebrity" hunters will put out a bonus for a certain size animal killed on film. They may offer thousands of dollars to an outfitter if they can kill a booner on camera as a bonus/incentive. Most of those people couldn't find their arse with both hands and map in the real world.
    A number of years ago when I raised bobcats I had w well known hunting show want to buy a cat and set it up in a predator calling situation for a kill shot on camera. Needless to say I told them to pack sand. A buddy offered Jim Zumbo a fully paid elk hunt and old Jimbo got all excited until he told him it was on public land and he wanted to see just how damn good he was. Jimbo wasn't as pleasant after he found out the details.
    I generally like Jim Shockey but if you notice his Saskatchewan deer hunts are over bait, he just hides the bait behind a log.
    Not a lot different than Zink hunting flooded corn fields that have been set aside just for the show
    Lots of BS in those shows but I still watch them when I just can't stand any more news shows.

4. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

5. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

I don't bother watching, problem Solved!