Two battery system

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Rubberhead, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I hunt alone from a small boat many times in places that are 10 or more miles from the nearest boat landing. I've always carried a small spare battery but finally got around to installing an “add a battery system” that keeps the house battery charged from the running motor but isolates the boat’s electrical equipment from the motor’s starting battery when the motor isn’t running. The idea is to always have a fresh starting battery.

The red switch allows the whole system to be disconnected for storage but also allow the batteries to be combined if the extra starting current is needed.

Attached Files:

bullpinnie, MJ and River Duck like this.
  2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I like that a lot, may be my spring project.

3. hatch

hatch New Member

Best system available...plus emergency start position if the start battery goes dead

4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I dig it, cleanly done.

5. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Are those lawnmower batterys what size motor you running I could lose some weight in my boat wonder if they would start a 25 evinrude

6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I've used a 22amp hour battery for years to start my 25hp merc and run my light bar. It's always done perfectly and weighs roughly 10lbs.

7. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Yep. Walmart sells two different versions of the U1 size battery. One is a 230 CCA and is usually $20 and a second with 275CCA for $30. The plan is to run two 275CCA batteries once the larger battery, leftover from the days I ran only the one battery, dies.

The U1 batteries have no trouble starting my F20.

freefall likes this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

While I am of the KISS school of thought and wouldn't go this route, that's a very clean setup you've got there, Rubberhead. I have a feeling it will work very nicely for you since you appear to be the type to keep things nicely maintained.

9. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

It looks very clean, well laid out. What size wiring is going from the battery to the switch, it seems light for a starter wire?

10. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

Is that just an isoluator and automatic charging relay? what brand and model did you use?