Two day Veterans hunt

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Jan 10, 2019.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

5FCF84C9-06F3-4F4C-8519-849C5E29C4FF.jpeg

Is anyone aware they amended the migratory bird treaty act to allow a 2 day veterans/active duty hunt? We were discussing it at our CWAC meeting. Has to be used not more than 14 days before or after the hunting season. Can be used in conjunction with the youth hunt.

API and The_Duck_Master like this.
  2. wtrfwlr43

wtrfwlr43 Elite Refuge Member

H.R.6013 Passed the House and was sent to the Senate.
    Latest Action: Senate - 09/26/2018 Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.

3. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

4. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That’s great. Fully support it, except for one thing, and it’s not about the veteran part.

I was certain that the end of the season was set because that’s when birds start to mate up, according to biologists. It’s a hard stop, according to the feds. Am I wrong on that? If not, then why would the new rules allow the days to be up to 14 days after the end of the season?

goosenazi likes this.
  5. buck_master_2001

Maybe because the amount of harvest will be minimal?

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  6. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

As a Vietnam veteran and a trained biologist, I'm totally opposed to this BS proposal. Besides, I'm so sick and tired of today's politicians throwing little bs bones to vets, riding on their backs to another term in office, while ignoring or giving lip service to all the problems with the VA, PTSD, etc.

7. QuaaackerJack

QuaaackerJack Senior Refuge Member

Sooo, this is still just a bill in discussion right?
    No vote yet or season dates added 2018-2019 season, correct?

8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Not a fan. I’ve only done 31.7 years active duty. I’m not worthy of 2 extra days.

freefall likes this.
  9. buck_master_2001

Agree with most of what you said but if they wanna give me two extra days to hunt then I sure as hell will take them! Especially if it’s late season. If it’s early season when it’s still 70* they can have that garbage!

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  10. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Maybe, but why is that a reason for an exception? Put it at the beginning of the season and fine. End of the season, when everyone else has to stop for a scientific determination of when the season should end, seems odd to me.

In Texas, this season ends January 27, which is the last Sunday of the month. Years past, I believe the last Sunday has fallen on January 31. I guess if the last Sunday falls on a date earlier than January 31 it’s ok, but then how many veterans are going to hunt on a Monday-Wednesday? And why not just keep the season open for everyone until January 31, regardless of the day of the week?

See where I’m going with this? I don’t mind that veterans get special days; my issue is with the seemingly arbitrary mandatory end of the season date because biologists say that’s when they start to pair up.

In southern states like Texas, I’ve seen way more ducks in February than January the last several years. There seems to be a hard stop for a good reason, except when days can be carved out for special interest groups.

Again, I have no problem with veterans, specifically, getting special dates. It’s with arbitrary dates and hunting regulations in general.