Two patterns

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DtSB, Jan 4, 2017.

1. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

#1 steel, 1550 fps, 1 1/8oz

104 hits with xfull kicks hf
    84 hits with full kicks hf

Inv+ BPS

40 yds, dead mallards or no??

Attached Files:

Buttesmacker likes this.
  2. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

Nice pattern---kents???

3. DtSB

Herters, Cabelas' house brand.

I couldn't get these shells to pattern any better than 50% with factory chokes. So I had some gift cards and decided to experiment.

I've got some 3's to test tomorrow.

Buttesmacker likes this.
  4. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I see some clumping in your second pattern. Try shooting more & getting some good averages. Chokes can make a world of difference with any given load.

Ringbill

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Gosh , that's not bad for 30 yds.........................................just kidding , BUT
    With only 116 pellets in that load and the penetration out to 58 ( at 1550 fps) , unless you're pass-shooting , why not try one of Chuck .015 Highflyers
    It sure worked for me with the same load in Kents ?

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Patterns aren't bad just 1 1/8 oz is a bit thin for 1's on ducks, using 1's go up to 1 1/4 oz or try the 3's in 1 1/8 oz.

Teddy (punchie) likes this.
  7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I would be interested to see those some loads patterned at 30 yds as well. Most guys pattern their guns at 40 yds., but that is a rare shot for me. I am more interested in patterns at 20, 25, and 30 yds. Those are really good 40 yd patterns, but I would be interested to see how tight they are at closer ranges. I used a 1 1/8 #1 load at 1450 in a 2.75" for snow geese and was extremely happy with the results. High percentage of 1 shot kills all the way out to 40 yds with reasonable recoil. I really like the #1 shot load on geese and have been using it more than BB or 2.

8. DtSB

The 30 yard pattern I tested was 111 hits, and I couldn't tell much difference in the density of the pattern within the 30" circle.

At 20 yards, the pattern was a solid 24", 100%.

At 15 yards, it was a ~15" pattern.

Again, those are with the Xfull.

The Full and Mod Kicks chokes would be good for decoying where the ducks are going to be inside of 35 yards, with this specific load. Beyond that, and we are under 85 pellets in the usable pattern.

Still, its not a high performing load for ducks in my opinion. It will run out of pattern density a good 10 yards before the pellets run out of energy to kill mallards. So it's leaving a lot on the table for ducks. It'll be great for geese I think.

What I was searching for with this load, is something that I could shoot jumping mallards and blacks with at ranges between 40 and 50 yards. I like to float hunt with my canoe, and I'm currently passing up lots of ducks that are jumping at 40 yards because I don't want to cripple them. Of course, I'm still able to fill my limit with ducks that I've jumped inside of 30 yards, so maybe it wouldn't matter anyhow. Some days though, they just don't sit long enough and I'm left with longer shots.

I'm interested to see how the #3's pattern with these chokes this afternoon. I bet they'll run out of energy long before they lose pattern density. They too have patterned poorly through my factory chokes beyond 30 yards ~50%. If I could get near 80% at 40 yards, I'll be happy with them for just about any decoy hunting I do.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I shot Kent 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz 0f 1's at 1550 for 6 years both here at home and in Canada . I had no problem killing Ducks or Medium Large Geese with
    this load out of a .015 choke . I decided to load my own so I used RSI 65 as a test load and work-up from there . These days the HG load with 3 , 1's and B's
    is what works for me and the way I hunt ( decoying birds ) and if I see a need to shoot beyond this shells capabilities , I take-out my 10 ga with a 1 1/2 oz
    of BBB's......as I believe in having the right tool for the job !

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Inside 35 yards you don't really need #1's unless you are in a hellatious wind.

Doesn't seem like a great load at all. Not enough pattern density until you get it inside 40 and at that range smaller shot is adequate and probably more desirable.