Michigan Flyway Forum Sponsors

U.P. Hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan Flyway Forum' started by JJVizinat, Oct 23, 2018.

1. JJVizinat

JJVizinat New Member

What’s up fellas, I’m from Louisiana but will be heading to Michigan for over a week to hunt w an old Marine friend of mine. We gonna hunt mostly your managed hunt areas but want to make a UP hunt. He’s from Michigan but has never hunted there.

My question is, how is the duck/ goose hunting up there? Are the State Forest area legal to hunt on? If not, do y’all have any other areas up there open to the public to hunt?

We’ll be targeting puddle ducks, no divers.

Thanks for any help

2. neil duffey

neil duffey Elite Refuge Member

anything public land is typically ok to hunt. the up might be a bit harsh this time of year. ive never hunted up there, but they typically have snow and possibly ice by this time. its been a cold year so far.

3. JJVizinat

JJVizinat New Member

I don’t mind harsh, and I’ll do anything to get on birds. But not much I can do if it’s all frozen over.

Think we gonna do the whole trip public and try and hit all the public WMAs y’all have.

Thanks for the heads up

4. OldGriz

OldGriz Refuge Member

Ice should not be a big problem in the short term. Sault Ste. Marie forecast for this week is highs in the 40's and lows in the 30's. Lots of State and Federal land in the U.P.

5. JJVizinat

JJVizinat New Member

Are we good to hunt the state land like Sault Ste Marie?

I’m not asking for anyone’s spot but can you point me in the direction as to which State Forest/ Federal land will be worth my time to find ducks in the UP this time of yr?

6. OldGriz

OldGriz Refuge Member

Go to www.mi.gov/dnr and click on waterfowl. Lots of useful info on the site.
    When you cross the Mackinac Bridge you should see a large raft of redheads on the north, leeward side of the bridge.
    I can't give you any marsh sites for puddle ducks without pi&&ing someone off.

7. JJVizinat

JJVizinat New Member

I hear ya. Yea I’m not about shooting divers at all. But thank you.

And to be clear, I wasn’t wanting any spots, I can find my own. I was just curious as to what are the better WMAs in the UP that hold ducks. That way I’m not spending days driving to all of them and scouting ya know

8. JJVizinat

JJVizinat New Member

I hear ya. Yea I’m not about shooting divers at all. But thank you.

And to be clear, I wasn’t wanting any spots, I can find my own. I was just curious as to what are the better WMAs in the UP that hold ducks. That way I’m not spending days driving to all of them and scouting ya know