U.S Court of appeals strikes down part of state mental health gun restriction.

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Bear, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/19/us-appeals-court-deems-gun-law-unconstitutional/

A federal appeals court in Cincinnati deemed a law unconstitutional that kept a Michigan man who was committed to a mental institution from owning a gun.

The three-judge panel of the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that a federal ban on gun ownership for those who have been committed to a mental institution violated the Second Amendment rights of 73-year-old Clifford Charles Tyler.

2. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

I guess this will give new meaning to the term 'gun nuts'

3. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

Bear, every thread you have posted in the last few weeks has been from Fox News website. You may need a break from there. It will warp your brain. Just looking out for you during these holiday times:)

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Yes, that what our counry needs, more people with a history on mental illness owning guns.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I have quoted others and have even disputed Fox before I believe. CNN has started up their PM anti-gun rhetoric again so I don't "shop" there anymore. If you'd like...I can start referencing the Daily Kos and Mother Jones. Or maybe even The Onion.

Mental illness and emotional illness can be two different conditions. They get lumped together. People may not be able to be cured for mental illness that causes them to be unable to reason and therefore hurt others. But emotional devastation which sometimes causes the need for intensive psych intervention is often cured. Emotionally destroyed individuals still have the capacity for reason but they may just not even be able to function for a while.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  6. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

I think you must not know much about mental illness, the different kinds of mental illness, causes, treatments, or prognosis.

Some education would be good for you.

7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Put the quotes in the order that they should be on this subject. What duckguru fails to realize is that the direction that this has been going especially with the Obamacare is the goal that anyone that has taken any type of anti depression meds could be denied gun ownership. My doctor for example 10 years ago suggested I take a very low dose of anti depression meds while I was dealing with my sisters terminal cancer as primary care giver, along with a teen daughter that was out of control.

I was feeling sluggish and unmotivated out of character for me. After 6 months I no longer was taking them. This type of lumping of people is incorrect and does nothing to make people safer etc... Good to see some understand the nuances and not walk around with their head in the sand or buy the bs !

8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Case in point:

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=983462

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yep...and remember who just was appointed Surgeon General.

God bless your sister and daughter.

10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Read that several times.