U.S Court of appeals strikes down part of state mental health gun restriction.

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Bear, Dec 19, 2014.

1. 12VMAN

12VMAN Banned

Most folks that drink alcohol don't kill anybody either but it probably isn't a good idea to put them behind the wheel right?

You see that pattern?

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

That's to big of a blanket to throw in my mind.

It also creates a very slippery slope in regards on the road to confiscation. Get an rx, the show up at your house to take your guns? going to be a lot of untreated folks, and that's far worse than soon being on anti-depressants in my mind.

3. 12VMAN

12VMAN Banned

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I agree with your concern about confiscation. That's why I'm sort of "toggling" between "purchase" or "own". The two are not synonymous and I'm really not sure what the implications are. I do see the potential for confiscation, if you say people on antidepressants shouldn't own. But not if you say, buy.

And admittedly it opens up a huge can of worms regarding HIPAA laws and who has the right to know what you're on as well. These are all BIG points.

Problem is, I could see the gun control crowd saying, "Look, xxx million people are using these drugs. And they need them so that's OK. But we cannot have a society where every Tom, Dick and Harry has unfettered access to all of these drugs, alcohol (soon to be legal) weed, etc and still maintain that they have the right to "automatic" weapons and handguns".

I know it sounds ridiculous to our ears, but I think it's an effective end-around for the GC growd.

5. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

That would be one of the most widespread gun restrictions in the country, causing more collateral damage to law-abiding citizens than any gun control law that has ever been passed.

How much access do you want our government to have as it relates to your health records?

How do you feel about folks not seeking mental health doctors because their guns would be taken away? For many in this very community, it could mean the difference between scheduling an appointment with a counselor or psychiatrist or just sucking it up until, well, when? When it gets so bad that there are no other outlets? Except there's always an outlet and since your mental health has gone unreported or under reported, you still have a gun!

The reality of it is we're in a state of growing pains as it relates to mental health. The problem is there is still an influential minority (old white guys) who think that anyone who seeks counseling or takes meds is mentally defective and as a consequence deserve fewer rights. Frankly, it seems like there's a superiority element to the whole thing, because it is very rare to hear someone who has lived with depression take such a broad and judgmental stance towards those who have faced their own mental health.

6. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Lest you forget Senator Feinstein's recent comments on how military veterans all have some mental illness.

Now do you want some Obamacare doctor checking a box and effectively prohibiting gun ownership amongst our military veterans?

That's not to mention women going through menopause possibly being deemed mentally ill as well .:z

7. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

False analogy. Most people who drink alcohol don't drive drunk.

Most drunk driving deaths are caused by people who drink, but most people who drink don't cause drunk driving deaths.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of studies that quantify the risk of a fatal car crash associated with driving while drunk.

Not so when it comes to any of the other examples. Except for men. Men cause most of the trouble in the world.

8. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

This is a real issue. If people become aware that they will lose their rights if they seek help for mental health issues, many, perhaps most, will not seek that help.

The Law of Unintended Consequences will not be denied.

9. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

Have you found any inaccurate information in his links?

10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Think about how much damage people do under the influence of alcohol. I haven't been carded in 30 years. The guy that rear ended me and broke my neck was reaching for a six pack in his back seat when he hit me. He was celebrating just getting out of jail for a DUI.

People on anti-depressants are not violent in the statistically near 100% rank. And those that did do violence may have done it anyway.

The treatment for several conditions not even related to "mental illness" are treated with psychotropic drugs. As mentioned...nicotine and alcohol addiction.

I'm needing to get something done so I'll have to do it later but texting probably kills more innocents in car wrecks than people on anti-depressants shoot up.

And most gun related violence is criminal on criminal or has nothing to do at all with people taking anti-depressants.

Anyway...gotta go.