U.S Court of appeals strikes down part of state mental health gun restriction.

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Bear, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Just a clarification-

The government doesn't make a distinction between ownership and purchasing ability. If you're legally allowed to own a gun, you're legally allowed to buy a gun.

2. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

If I recall correctly, doctors are encouraged to ask about gun ownership but are not required to do so.

3. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

People on anti-depressants are most likely to be depressed. Depressed people do not kill others so much as they kill themselves.

Plus, as Bear noted, antidepressants are given for many conditions.

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe. I'm not sure what the actual numbers are.

I agree with your point and the answer is damn little.

Again, point well taken. But I believe there's a middle ground. I believe that Antidepressants (SSRIs MAOIs TCAs whatever nomenclature you wish to utilize) are MASSIVELY overprescribed. I don't believe that people receiving therapy or trying to work through problems should be punished for it. But I think this country should address the mental health problem we have, by reducing the number of 'scripts written, increasing the amount of professional help available to people who need it and increasing the number of beds for people who need/want to be committed. Not everyone needs a script and maybe we need to be in a state of, "hey...this is powerful stuff and is a last resort, while you're on it, I don't want you buying guns. Soon as we get you fixed up...Have at it".

Not true in my case. I've written about a personal struggle I've had with depression on this very site. (White yes and getting old, maybe). I know how horrible depression can be and I don't feel superior towards anyone about it. (When I was young and invincible, I thought depression was BS. I sure know better now.) My thought on this whole thing is to try and encourage counseling (and other treatment like vigorous exercise and dietary changes) but make people think long(er) and hard(er) about taking a script.

I did not utilize any prescriptions but had it gotten too much worse, I might have. But the level of "worse" that I'm thinking of, is also a level at which maybe I shouldn't necessarily be able to purchase firearms. I know that'll freak people out but I've been there and that's the data I came away with.

5. 12VMAN

12VMAN Banned

Its not when you add the last part of my statement......it still isn't a good idea to put those that drink alcohol behind the wheel is it?

Some folks happen to think that it isn't a good idea to put somebody that has to depend on depression/anxiety meds to "get through the day" or to "take the edge off" access to a gun.....

6. The Other David

The technology exists now for everyone to be issued a smart-card that either contains or connects to all the personal information that exists on a given individual and his/her family.

This card could be used to restrict purchase choices in restaurants and grocery stores, limit the amount and type of alcohol to be purchased, the type of car allowed, etc.

Once these databases are linked to gun ownership records, then it will be easy to identify those people who should not own guns.

The argument could be made that those who purchase too much alcohol, take any drugs that can alter perception (such as benedryl), ever had an STD (poor impulse control), drive too fast, etc, etc, should relenquish their guns. And all the guns in the house hold, no matter who owns them.

7. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Studies have been done, especially with younger folks, that their suicide rate goes up when they get off anti-depressants. So much so the FDA has issued it's strongest "black box warning" about this.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topi...-information-for-parents-and-caregivers.shtml

I'm in a hurry so I'll find other reliable sources later.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  8. 12VMAN

12VMAN Banned

when we are talking about known side effects of a particular med does that really matter?

9. The Other David

How about access to a car, or a knife, or gasoline?

How about being allowed to be a physician, nurse, teacher, or electrician?

What evidence do you have that these people are at higher risk of homicide?

How do you feel about your doctor calling the gun control authorities whenever he/she thinks your rights and freedoms should be constrained?

10. The Other David

Which meds and side effects do you have in mind?