U.S Court of appeals strikes down part of state mental health gun restriction.

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Bear, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Steve...I think he's just funnin. :tu

2. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

num, here is a couple things to consider. My doctor told me along with the meds that I needed to get back to doing things that I enjoyed. Dealing with my sister and her health issues along with the other stress with my daughter was affecting me in a negative way. I was no longer doing things that provide stress relief or pleasure which is when the body's chemistry is prone to the changes that occur causing clinical depression.

I was very skeptical of starting any meds instead I had the pull up your boot straps mentality and move on. It was not until we where dealing with my daughter that the physiatrist she went to explained the ins and outs much more clearly. So after that I started the meds and made time to do things like hunting and fishing and simply shooting to restore balance along with the meds. For some that could be golf or crafts or even travel. But the pleasure and relaxing acts are as important as the meds.

From my own experience there are two things that make your assumptions wrong. First is that depression does not flip your right from wrong switch, nor does it affect your cognitive ability to reason. It may inhibit you from acting to help yourself. So in a short answer for the vast majority there would be no issue and should not have any additional restrictions be placed on you as a result of taking meds for depression.

That said there are people though who suffer from depression as well as other issues like bipolar disorder but not limited to it and others that do affect peoples ability to understand the consequence of their actions! This is an area where I think some restrictions needed not because of the depression but the other disorders which can and do lead to destructive and revenge driven behavior.

Friend has a son that I helped start hunting and shooting when he was about 10. He was diagnosed as having mild ADHD early on. When he was about 16 or there about he started using hard drugs, Acid, mushrooms, meth trying to self medicate. He spiraled out of control. He is now in his mid 20"s with no criminal record and juvie records that are sealed yet he has bipolar disorder which causes when off his meds violent outbursts of anger an can go from normal it out of control in seconds if something strikes him wrong.

His family would agree that he is not someone that should be allowed access to firearms either at home or through purchase. Not sure if he can legally purchase but my point is more about the fact that the other underlying issues are more of the problem not depression but most doctors especially GP do not have the skill sets to access this. This means Prozac or wellbutron are given and then something bad happens and the media key on depression as the cause when in fact it was the untreated issue that was the trigger!!

Sorry this got a bit long but it is not a short explanation nor do sound bites that may appear reasoned help in understanding this. Heck even a lot of people with depression do not understand the chemical side of it and muddle through life miserable as a result.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  3. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Really good response, Ron.
    Thank you.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Our pediatrician pulled that crap on us about 14 years ago. I told her that my firearms are safe and are no business of hers. We left their practice shortly after that.

5. Tailfeathers

Obama would have aspirin on the disqualification list if he could.

6. Tailfeathers

I'm lucky, my Dr. and I always talk about our hunting seasons since my last appointment. But, if I weren't "lucky" I would make my self lucky and seek out a pro Second Amendment Doctor. Love living in the country, I do!:tu

7. Tailfeathers

So according to your opinion, if a guy is literally watching his mother suffer the slow painful death of cancer, is upset and takes on the logical and proper action of seekings professional help for answers from his Doctor and is prescribed a mild anti depressant and is monitored by the Doctor and the prescription lasts like 2 months?..He should give up all his firearms immediately and never own one again? Bullschmit!

8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Here in lies the problem and I didn't stutter when I said lies. Some agenda pony riding shrink can rack you up for the rest of your life either with a mis-diagnosis or an anti-gun agenda diagnosis. Never mind a cover their *** diagnosis. Then you got the new Surgeon General mounting up and picking his staff to "evaluate" the cases. And they are talking a lifetime restriction...not some six month or year long probationary period. Once you pull the black bean...you're done.

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yep...at 15 I had the "privilege" of watching our Mother die from lung cancer. I would hold her on the couch and listen to her suppress her moans and then puke all over me from the chemo that was available at the time. She died in my older Brother's arms at home and when I was able to get home after being told I saw the strain in her face from those last moments five minutes after she died. I needed talk therapy after that and my grades in school started dropping. So according to some of the agenda ponies I'm sure this new Surgeon General is going to hire I shouldn't be able to buy a firearm to duck hunt with because of something that happened 45 years ago and I didn't do anything criminal. Just talked to a therapist about why my grades were falling. But it might be on a case by case basis...yeah...my thousands of dollars case by case basis of new psych evaluations...a lawyer and several years of a "maybe si' maybe no." case basis.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  10. 12VMAN

12VMAN Banned

and you are assuming that all that are prescribed meds actually "need" them and you are assuming that they all have an actual mental illness

we could go on and on about the problem of overprescribing in the mental health community