Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

U.S. Hunters in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Moe Curls, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Moe Curls

Moe Curls New Member

I have recently heard a rumor that there is Canadian Guide Organization that is trying to get legislation passed that will limit the total number of hunt days that a non-Canadian citizen will be allowed to hunt Canada. I was told that if this proposal is passed there will no longer be season licenses available to U.S. hunters.

I would appreciate any information regarding this rumor.

2. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

this doesn't make any sense! why would they do that to themselves?

3. Rockblind

Rockblind Elite Refuge Member

22 KM from Stakeblind 4000 KM from Stoneblind's Ho
    Moe, where did you hear that rumor?

4. Moe Curls

Moe Curls New Member

Apparently this proposal is an effort to stop the U.S. Guides/Outfitters operating illegally in Canada.

5. Cariboo

Cariboo Elite Refuge Member

Yes that is a proposal. It is designed to keep non-residents from setting themselves up as ilegal guides and having a steady stream of "friends" come across the border to hunt with them all season long.
    If that was not a problem now then that proposal would not be on the table.
    There is also a large movement trying to bar ALL non-resident free-lancing hunting. The very limited and meager amount of money they drop is not woth the problems the locust-like swarms of non-residents are causing in some areas.

6. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

I can assure you that the "locust-like swarms" spend plenty of money in Canada. The government has just figured out yet another way to exploit the incoming money from NR's. First it was the $50.00 gun surcharge... now another way for them to put their hand in my pocket. Keep it up and the problem will go away... :rolleyes:

7. Moe Curls

Moe Curls New Member

This information came from a U.S. Guide that works in Canada (illegally???) for 2 months before returning to the U.S. to guide the balance of the season which in this case runs through January.

8. Moe Curls

Moe Curls New Member

Cariboo,

Thank you for responding. I am looking for some way to get more information on this proposal. The fact that you also are familiar with this issue leads me to believe that this is more than just a rumor.

What I was told is that the proposal would limit non-resident hunters to 10 days period. Non-renewable.

9. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

Its a priviledge-not a RIGHT- to be able to hunt in Canada. Too many American hunters seem to forget that Canada is not part of the USA. Personally- I feel the least I can do is put a couple $$ into a guides pocket for them letting me come up there and hunt. Illegal US guides in Canada are no different than illegal Mexicans causing problems in the US............and we all know how US citizens feel about that:rolleyes: If they need/want to end freelancing I say more power to em. I guess some will have to make a choice........pay the piper his due or stay home.

10. Moe Curls

Moe Curls New Member

Seal,

I agree. HOWEVER, I would hope the net they throw to catch those operating illegally would not impact those who are hunting within the system.