Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

U.S. Hunters in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Moe Curls, Jan 22, 2004.

1. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

well put drycreek.

If they are already breaking the law, what makes you think that more laws will effect what they are doing? Even if you do impose these new laws, if there aren't enough law enforcement people to enforce the laws, will it have any effect?

If the laws are enforced, and hefty fines are in place, that's revenue. Revenue that can be used to add to the workforce to help enforce the laws.

More laws without enforcement is a paper tiger waiting to happen.

2. B325

B325 Senior Refuge Member

Question, how long is the hunting season on Canada & what's the daily limit. Last time I came down to hunt Md the limit went from 3 to 1 per day.

3. drycreekvalley

drycreekvalley Elite Refuge Member

Sorry I had to mention one other thing...though I am not sure why.

Quote: Imagine the number of Game wardens Calif must have with a population of >30 million & only 156K sq mi (with no fresh water or public land to hunt on).

Here is some info on the non-existent public lands that you can hunt in CA:

Sacramento Valley Waterfowl counts

Sacarmento NWR

Forget all this just drop on by the California forum for more on how terrible the hunting is down here...

4. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

DryCreekValley.... if the hunting is so good in California why are you talking so much about what should/should not happen in Canada? I mean, why would you care? Stay home next year, the $150 dollars that you spend in Alberta will not be missed. As it has been stated many times before in this thread, why are you so mis-guided in your thoughts that free-lancers significantly enrich the local purse?

I respect all the opinions on here and most of you raise very valid points. Fact is, I live here, pay taxes and am watching some of the best waterfowl hunting areas in the world get literally overrun by US NR hunters. Don't even get me started on the US NR fisherman. Sure, most of you are friendly, great hunters and know a good beer when you taste one but some of the best waterfowl hunting areas in the world are literally overrun by US NR hunters.

As much as we like our neighbors to the south we do not want to become you with respect to the crowded hunting problems that you have in many places.

5. drycreekvalley

drycreekvalley Elite Refuge Member

The last one I promise...just to clear up some apparent confusion.

Quote: DryCreekValley.... if the hunting is so good in California why are you talking so much about what should/should not happen in Canada? I mean, why would you care?

Like many others in this big wide world, I hunt and fish in more than one place throughout the year. I like to travel experiencing new places and meeting new people. Having that happen along with great outdoor adventures just makes it that much better. Canada is one of those places where the country, people and wildlife make for an exceptional experience. As I mentioned above, I would like to see those experiences available to my kids and their kids. That is why I care. Believe it or not I do not want these experiences overrun by anyone, Canadian, U.S. or otherwise. But if you close your eyes to the fact that global adventure will take place whether you like it or not, you will end up like all those other places you have nightmares about.

One of the reasons I posted links re: CA hunting is to give you facts about the situation elsewhere. The hunting does not suck down here. In fact it is a blast. However, it could be much better and only sensible management will maintain or better the situation. Same as up north. All I am saying is use history to your advantage. Do not kneejerk like some have and end up with less than you have now. Try for more than you have now!

Quote: Stay home next year, the $150 dollars that you spend in Alberta will not be missed. As it has been stated many times before in this thread, why are you so mis-guided in your thoughts that free-lancers significantly enrich the local purse?

And since you have been so pleasant in your response (not) and are clearly not reading well, I would suggest that you please try to read more carefully before responding.

I have never, nor do I have plans to freelance in Canada. The trips I take are guided multi-day trips to Alberta. I do not have feeling on way or another about how much freelancers bring to Canada's economy. My comments are all related to the excellent guided trips I have experienced. Which by my experience contribute much more than 150.00 a trip and are all I have discussed in this forum.

This is going downhill fast so that is the end for me...I will hope for the best and continue to support excellent guide services and the communities they operate in.

Thanks,

Brian

6. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

Just make sure that you are supporting a Canadian guide service and not an illegal US one.

7. duckcatcher

duckcatcher Senior Refuge Member

Dartmouth,NovaScotia, via Alberta , Canada
    cant we all just get along..!!!!!! lol

8. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Chris Benson-
    Well said-
    We have opinions and that's fine, but in last analysis, it IS your country and we abide by your laws or we should stay home and NOT bitch in any event!

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Wow, what a discussion. I have been to Canada twice, hunting without a guide. Working out of Cabri, we only saw a couple of other hunters in the area. We met and talked with the land owners, asking permission to hunt. Some times we were turned down, but most times we were allowed to hunt. It would seem to me that the farmers have the most control over the N/R guides, since they are the ones that give permission to hunt. There must be a reason why.

I am moving to Montana next year, and hoped to be able to make the much shorter drive to the most incredible hunting I have ever experienced, instead of the 26 hour drive from Las Vegas. I don't have the money to spend $150-$250 per day for a guide, so that is why I freelance. I only bring what ammo the law allows, and get more when I arrive, if needed. I loved the people, loved the hunting. I hope that whatever they decide, it allows people like me to be able to come up and enjoy it more as the years go by.

I understand the point about oil, gas, farming crops bringing in tons more money than hunters do, but ask the motel owner how he feels about cutting back on hunting access. I know Cabri is all about N/R hunters, and they appreciate our business. Maybe my being there doesn't mean much to someone in downtown Calgary, but it did in Cabri.

Protect your resource, by all means, but dont throw the baby out with the bathwater!:nutz

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

This is why I went, and why I want to go back: