Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

U.S. Hunters in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Moe Curls, Jan 22, 2004.

1. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

Guys like you should always be allowed. I do have aproblem with american guides opperating here without paying taxes here.

2. B325

B325 Senior Refuge Member

drycreekvalley.
    Thank-you for confirming my beliefs that there is "no free range" in Calif where one can hunt waterfowl. Now I understand your frustrations, it must be hell having to wait in line to hunt in Wildlife Refuge to shoot Coots.

PS: Shooting Mergies is one thing (good practice for novice hunters) but Coots running across the water (I'm still laughting). Question, when are they going to open a season a Cormorants.

3. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

B325,

The limit on Canada geese here where I hunt is 5 per day, and the season is 5 months long.

What does that have to do with it, or were you just curious?

4. B325

B325 Senior Refuge Member

Dear Chcltlabz,
    I was just curious on the current limit in Md. as I was truly in "Shock & Awe" the first time I hunted Md and seeing so many Canada's.
    What's it like now are the numbers simular to the early 70's. In our region the the last couple of years & especially this fall has been an unbeliveable year for Canada's. Not only are the numbers up by 1000 fold, we now have a early season & are able to shoot them into Dec.
    PS: Our B-Bill population is the ****s, down 90% in our area. There was a time one one would see flocks in the 10's of thousand, now a big flock is 100. Damm those Zebra mussels, they are even on our decoy anchors.

5. Firetiger

Firetiger Elite Refuge Member

I want to go too !!! lol

6. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

The bird numbers are way up from previous years, but the limit for migrating Canadas is still 1. The population is technically higher than it was before they closed the season, but they are waiting for a long term rise and letting the age of geese rise before they increase the limits from 1.

The resident zone that I hunt is exploding. We get birds from all over the east that winter here. These aren't Atlantic flyway birds, because they aren't nesting up north, but they do migrate in to some extent.

Right now, we are almost froze up, so we are just trying to survive the last couple weeks.

The bluebills aren't what they used to be, that's for sure, but we are seeing tons of them around here late in the season. Not flocks of 10,000 but numbers in the thousands. Seeing an increase in the greater scaup around, and lots of Cans this year.

Saw quite a few redheads this year too, which isn't too common.

7. workhorse

workhorse Senior Refuge Member

This is actually my first time on the Canadian hunter's forum, and I came to try to get information to help plan a hunt later this fall. It is troubling to hear the bitterness towards U.S. hunters.

I am a young man, who loves to hunt waterfowl. There are certain places you always read about, that as a hunter, you tell yourself that at some point in your life, you need to experience that. A dove hunt in Argentina, a driven pheasant hunt in England, etc. For me, it is experiencing an unguided duck and goose hunt in Canada.

There are two main reasons for going unguided. For one, I am on a limited budget, and I can hunt for three days unguided for the same cost as one day guided. Secondly and more importantly, for me the hunt will mean more if it is on land that I got permission to hunt, over my decoys, with my calling bringing in the birds. I would rather my best friend and I get four geese over that setup, than limit out every day with an outfitter.

Limiting the number of days doesn't bother me, as I do not have at my discretion an unending amount of resources upon which I can hunt. And I will not kid myself into believing that the money I spend will have a huge impact on the province where I spend it. But I would hope that money is not the only reason you would have me in your country. What I will experience on your land will fuel my imagination and passion for this sport for years to come. We are all part of something very special, and most of us try to pass that on to the children around us. But we shouldn't forget about each other. If Colorado offers something that can touch people to that extent, I personally would feel honored to share it with those that won't take it for granted.

I apologize for such a long post.

8. Calvalhntr1

Calvalhntr1 Elite Refuge Member

One way of getting around using an outfitter for big game is the "Hunter Host Program" where a canadian resident has to be with you at all times when hunting big game. Your "hunter Host" tag is about $160.00 US. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. I just think that there are guy like my self that are good at waterfowling and would be a waste for me to pay a guide to do what I enjoy doing. I am a licenced guide here in northern california for waterfowl so I understand why some people pay for someone to do the work for them but even for a guy who hunts big game, if he is passionate about the sport there is nothing wrong with him "freelancing" moose for example as long as he is with a canadian resident who knows the terrain i.e. "The hunter Host Program".:cool: