Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

U.S. vs Canadian Dollar

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cody Warner, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Cody Warner

Cody Warner New Member

With the given exchange rate at the moment, what's the easiest way to utilize it? I've been told that your credit card will automatically convert the exchange rate but I've also been told there's a 5% fee for that service. Is it easier to just find a bank with Canadian dollars and get about as much cash as you think you might need? Thanks for the advice in advance.

2. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

The best rate will be to get money up there. Your local bank will charge a fee as will your credit card unless you have a card that doesn't. Call your bank and ask if there is a fee for using it out of country. I have a Capital Card I use up there just because they do not charge a fee. Otherwise it is better to go to a bank up there to get the best rate of exchange.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Couple weeks ago the bank across the border was giving a $1.24 Canadian for $1 US. The bank on our side was only giving $1.11 Canadian. They want US dollars up there. Call your card and tell them when you'll be up there and if there is fees ask them get it waved. We live on the border and ours doesn't charge us a fee.

Good idea to let your phone carrier know your up there or you might get an expensive surprise.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Although it has been a few years since my last trip, I usually exchange dollars here in the states when I went on a hunting trip. On pleasure trips, I just used my bank issued card. I was part of a class action suit against my bank as they inflated exchange rates when converting CDN to US, Bank of America.

5. Aaron

Aaron Moderator Moderator

Wells fargo will transfer it over no charge if you use wf. We got approx 1 to 1.25 couple weeks ago. Ive always found it works best to transfer before the trip

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Covert to Zimbabwe dollars and give them as tips. [​IMG] This one is worth about a quarter.

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

As a Canadian, i have an American account at my bank, which allows me to deposit and withdraw without any conversion.

8. duxh8me

duxh8me Elite Refuge Member

I made it to Canada the last 2 summers... I have fished in Canada many times since the mid 80's and THEY WANT OUR MONEY BUT they will not give you exchange so for sure use your Credit Card... but to be fair I was in Big Citys the last 2 trips Where the small towns probably still will pull out a calucilator and exchange for you...The big cities shops would take US cash but straight across the bord.. I'm a little smarter than that... My CC only charged 1% so I did that. We had even exchange 3 years ago and they were ahead of us by a bit... So I have bought a few of their silver $50 coins for $37.50 and will cash them in down the road when they are even again... I love Canada and Canidians can't wait to hunt there one day. Jim in Texas

9. Refteck

Refteck Senior Refuge Member

Being from Canada I would say your best bet is to check the area you are visiting for a accurate exchange or similar place, the local one here will buy AM$ for $1.279 today. Most banks now require a account to exchange $.

Good luck

10. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

How would any of us know what the terms of your credit card is? I have cards that have very high transaction fees and a rather poor currency exchange rate and others that have zero fees and an exchange rate better than I can get in canada. So I use minimal cash and pay by credit card. You will also find a variance between banks in the fee they charge to exchange money. In my experiance, you will get more for your US dollars from a bank in canada than in the US.