Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

U.S. vs Canadian Dollar

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cody Warner, Aug 26, 2016.

1. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

check your current credit card fees. if they charge you get one that that doesn't. the bigger boarder crossings have welcome center and can exchange money if you cross during business hours. if you have leftover cash and are a credit union member you better exchange it before you cross back. Credit unions do not exchange money and other bank won't exchange unless you have account.

as always set your travel times with credit card company otherwise they could deny purchases when you get there as it will flag as possibly stolen.

2. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

It always a good idea to have some CAD for the small incidentals like coffee, meals, snacks, drinks etc. The exchange rate will change daily with currency fluctuations,,, the RBC posted cash rate http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cgi-bin/travel/currency-converter.pl (Aug 28) is $1.25 CAD per $1 USD on a current trading rate of $0.77 USD to 1 CAD ($1.30 CAD to $1 USD).

RBC will buy back the CAD cash at $0.75 USD for $1 CAD. ($1.33 CAD to $1 USD). As you can see, the banks certainly want their share of your money when they do the exchange.

You credit card exchange may not look as bad if you actually do the exchange rate. Using a credit card for larger expenses like rooms, gas, shells, etc. gives you a record of these trip expenses as well.

3. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

I use cash, that way my wife doesn't know how much I spend.

4. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

We use Canadian money at all mom and pop places, stores, cafes and so on, credit cards at bigger resturaunts and gas stations

5. West Coast Hoosier

West Coast Hoosier Senior Refuge Member

Suggest you check your bank ATM fees so you don't get an international exchange fee tacked on, some do some wave it, we go to a local credit union when in Saskatchewan and pull out $300 Canadian each time which this time around should be close to $243 US and the charge is only $4 and no international exchange fees etc. By far the cheapest way to pull or exchange funds we have found.

6. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

Great time to stock up on Canadian cash for future trips. Once the oil prices go back up so will their currency.

7. Big Burt

Big Burt Refuge Member

Your best bet is to stop at the exchange booth when you cross over and get your dancing money you think you will need .Then put the rest on your credit card. That is where you will get your best rates. Some exchange booths will only give you $500 at one time.
    Burt

8. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

I exchange mine while in Canada. I use the BMO Bank of Montreal, CIBC Bank and the Local Credit Unions in the towns I stay. They treat you nice since you are spending the money in their area. Motels, Restaurants and Gas Stations give you crappy exchange rates. Don't do it. But if you need some quick Canadian money when you hit the ground. Find a Walmart buy a pack of gum and give them a US $100 bill. Their exchange rate isn't to bad!!!! 17 yrs of experience on this one!!!!!