Ughhhh, Emissions...

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Ryan Hill, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

So let's say a friend of mine has a newer Duramax diesel with the garbage emissions they install from the factory now, Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) being the biggest of the problem. Unfortunately the state he lives in requires smog/emissions checks upon registration renewal every two years. He wants to do the necessary stuff to delete the DPF, tune the truck properly and gain back the 4-5 mpg and the 40+hp/80+ft.lbs of torque the factory has taken from him. Although he understands the emissions features are much more environmental friendly, he can't justify how much more unhealthy his diesel motor runs with the added features in a truck that was by no means cheap, and he wants the truck to run as healthy as possible for many years down the road...

Are there any other guys out there that live in smog-requiring states and have done this upgrade to their diesels? If so, what do you guys do come smog time? Any input in greatly appreciated and PMs are welcomed.

2. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

Get the dpf delete kit and tuner, and when it comes time to emissions it, put the dpf back on and run the factory tune. About the only way he can do it.

3. HEWHOHUNTS

HEWHOHUNTS Senior Refuge Member

Go to the Kalifornia fourm and ask the boys there. I'm sure they can help. I have a 90 cummins and don't have that problem. But when they made the switch to ULSD I lost about 2mpg.

4. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

Yeah I was thinking about a 4" turbo-back with a fake cat :dv and tuning with EFIlive/DSP5 and having the stock tune as one of the 5 tunes, and slapping the DPF back on come smog time. I'm wondering if the emissions folks look for a working EGR as well...

5. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

Upon further research I found on Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality website that under exemptions it lists any diesel powered vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,501 lbs. or more is exempt from emissions testing... :tu

6. WILDDUX

WILDDUX Elite Refuge Member

This ^^:cool:. I'm not sure of the location but here in CA, we sometimes see random roadside inspections... If you are deleted, you are screwed. :z

7. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

I've yet to hear anything about that here in Oregon. I'll have to do some research on it before I pull the trigger on DPF delete and EFILive, which I'm getting ready to do :D

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I hate emissions crap on anything.

9. Tonka Duker

Tonka Duker Refuge Member

I don't know if it is the same for the Dura Max as it is for the Cummins. Over on DTR (diesel truck resource) there is a sticky for doing the deletes. One part of that is for the "California Deletes" which uses the tune to effect the DPF delete. The DPF and the other emissions hardware (catalytic converter) stay on the truck. No problem with the visual inspections. When you need a tailpipe sniff, just go back to stock tune with the programmer. Might be worth a shot.

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Don't blame the factory though, you can reroute that to our ever expanding guberment.