Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

UHMW runners on a canoe

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Mar 9, 2018.

1. cjr

cjr Refuge Member

Won't this lead to a lot of exposed nuts and and bolt ends sticking up from the bottom of the canoe for you to step on and catch gear on? Also seems like a very large number of holes to put in the hull below the waterline

2. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I had a 1848 mud boat that had the bottom covered in 1/4" UHMW that was glued on. I bet that you could get away with simply gluing on the strips and not have to deal with bolts. holes, etc

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

What glue was used? From what I found glueing uhmw to aluminum wasn’t really possible.

4. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

I had a jet boat with UHMW glued on. Royal or Crown plastics made the stuff. Guy used Weldwood cement and a vacuum pump to draw it down. Worked great.

5. buck_master_2001

Hmmm. It’s oretty cheap too. I might give that a try before I start drilling holes in my boat.

6. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I don't recall as I had a guy the boat builder knew put it on. This was in 2008. There was no bubbling and it was on solidly even after running over boulders/stumps and winching my boat over dry ground (gravel) many times. The UHMW had some small 1/16" deep by 1" long divots taken out from boulders but that was the extent of it.

7. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

You can buy UHMW tape up to about .125" thick, about $350 or so for a 4" wide 50ft long tape roll.

However, for extreme impacts, like a normal jon boat with an outboard, I'd run a thicker sheet, 1/3"+. Problem is that it expands much faster than metal, so even securing it with screws is tricky... Which makes that tape seem like a worthy idea. I actually wonder if you could run that tape in multiple layers to give you 1/4"+, and if it would still maintain the 1/4"+ strength/impact properties, because forming sheets also takes 300+ degrees.

Anyways, sheets of this stuff is used on those crazy river boats they smash against rocks/boulders/jump/skip over dry rock points and so on...

8. rscholl

rscholl Senior Refuge Member

Get a plastic canoe ...

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I haven't seen rivets mentioned. Is that an option? Maybe in support of the glue.
    Yea, I know still has holes, but if you are going to glue, but are worried about de-lamination, 4-6 rivets (or bolts, for that matter) would give you piece of mind. Rivets, if you can find the right size, would sit pretty flush.

10. buck_master_2001

Runners on any boat are the way it’s done here. I’m just not gonna drop $700 to have runners installed on a $150 square back canoe.