Ultimate Coyote gun??

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by pennywise67, Sep 30, 2008.

1. pennywise67

pennywise67 Elite Refuge Member

Looking to add a dedicated yote gun to the aresenal. Already have a Rem 700 BDL in 22-250 w/ heavy varmit barrell. but it is too heavy to carry all day. Better suited for ground squirrel shooting. I need a caliber that can reach out to 200yrds and can be shot in the wind. I need to use non tox bullets cause I live in kommifornia smack dab in the Condor range. I will reload so factory ammo isnt a issue just the availability of "green" bullets. I was thinking 6mm or .243. So let's hear some opinions :z

-Larry

2. fetchitup7

fetchitup7 Refuge Member

.243 is my gun of choice, though I'm sure 6mm is just as effective. I shot .22-250 for years, but have found that ballistically, the .243 is superior. I shoot "off the shelf" loads; Hornady 58 gr v-max moly for yotes. The great thing about .243 is that you can easily switch to larger bullets depending on the situation you're in; i.e. deer season. Right now my yote gun is a youth model Remington 700 so when my son is old enough to hunt deer, he can use it; but also it's very light weight and compact which seems to be what you're looking for:)

3. SteveB

SteveB Banned

Depends if you want the hide or not. If not, .50 cal. :grvn:dv
    Steve

4. Mike

Mike Refuge Member

I like to use my AR or my 22-250, soon as I can find my an good buy on a 338LM I would like to add it to my carry along for those looooooooooooooooooooong shots.

5. pennywise67

:fp No 50 cal in Kommiefornia :l But it would be fun. I really dont care for the pelts.

6. Bmanduckhtr

Bmanduckhtr New Member<br><b>Do NOT Purchase From<br>or Sell A

rem 223

7. Taterem

Taterem Senior Refuge Member

Check out CZ. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I bought a CZ in .223. Not sure if you can find the "green" bullets for reloading you need, but for cost and performance CZ is a great value. Heavy tapered barrel, set trigger, recessed muzzle, and shootability. My .02.

8. pennywise67

I should have reallty titled this ulitmate coyote cartridge. A 223 will be like my 22-250, shooting a 50gr aprox bullet. These light bullets seem to get pushed around more by the wind, which we get lot's of. Thats why I was looking for something a little larger to shoot a 80 - 110gr bullet. But the advantage to a 22 cal is there are lot's of green options. A 243 might be the ticket. or maybe a 25-06. But CZ does make some nice guns, I also going to look at Sako,weatherby, Browning, Remington and Savage. I really dont have a brand loyalty in rifles. Or I might go full custom :grvn

-Larry

9. Mike

Mike Refuge Member

If you have an Armalite dealer check on the AR30 series guns if you can live with a heavy gun. I have been trying for the past two years to get an AR30 chambered in 338LM, if you can live with 5 bux a pull and you like to see large "targets" literally explode @ 1200+ yards you may want to really look into the LM round. I read an article a while back about these two guys on CO who were shooting prairie dogs @ 3500+ yards ( story here http://www.northfloridashooting.com/Misc/2MilePrarieDogs/2MilePrarieDogShooters.htm ), but man that is lobbing a lot of money down range to get in the magic spot there. You may like the Sako guns better but to me the Armalites just fit and feel so much better to me and well they are priced less.
    I love to push myself on these long range guns and have been fighting the urge to get a custom gun, I just can not see the 6k+ to get in on decent custom. Then you have to get good optics man it just adds up in a hurry. I had a Schmidt & Bender on my old 308 that had a custom 30" barrel but someone decided that wanted the gun one day while it was hidden in my truck, I just wish I still had it I know I would have the way I wanted it by now. Sorry for rambling here.
    Good luck !

10. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

I was going to say a 6.8spc in an AR platform, then it clicked in my head that you were in CA. Maybe look at 6.8 spc in a bolt gun?

YL03