Ultra light kayak?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by nick b, Oct 2, 2017.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Ive found some strip pits I’d like to hunt this year that are only accessible by walking in. They drop off FAST on the edges and are very deep. I don’t have a dog, so I’ll need some sort of craft to set out some decoys and get dead birds.

I’m eyeing some of the inflatable kayaks but I’m not 100% sure I trust them to not puncture on me and drop me in the drink. I’d wear a life jacket, for sure, and only hunt with a buddy to minimize risk. Does anyone have experience with these?

I’m also looking at something like an 8 foot Walmart special that only weighs 40-50 lbs. We’d be hunting from the shore and I could rattle can it.

Anyone found a good way to do this?

2. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I think you would have a hard time finding anything lighter than a Poke Boat but they are kind of pricey. Plus with steep edges any 'sit in' kayak might be hard to get into and out of.

nick b likes this.
  3. Downwind

Downwind Senior Refuge Member

Would an inflatable float tube work? I used to walk in fish a couple high mountain lakes and would use an inflatable float tube and kick fins. Maybe push your decoy load in with a cabelas deer carry cart. Just an idea since you will be hunting from shore. Dw

nick b likes this.
  4. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I got sick of dragging a kayak to our spot so I found a float tube/belly boat for this year. Have not tried it yet but I expect it's stable enough.

nick b likes this.
  5. nick b

While scouting we have been able to find entry/exit points where the bank is flat and the buddy could push the kayak with a person in and pull them out. I should say, the bank itself isn’t necessarily steep, but once you hit the water, it gets deep very quickly.

6. nick b

Those float tubes look like they could be the perfect solution. Has anyone paddled with one before? I just watched a YouTube video and the guy was wearing a set of fins for propulsion. Wouldn’t really work with waders on.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I'd bet unless you have some gigantic feet, you could find fins that would go over the wafer boots. They strap around the back.

8. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I'd avoid depending on anything inflatable during in the elements you encounter during duck season...id go with the kayak or even a canoe if you want to haul out more gear and stay dry/warm.

My old aluma craft canoe would float 1000LBs in 4" of water all day long.

bullpinnie likes this.
  9. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

Don't do inflatable. You'll pop it.
    And don't do sit in kayak, do sit on. You can get in and out of it really easy with waders on. The sit in ones may cut through the water better but good luck getting out with your waders on if you flip. Even better, try getting into one with waders on while cold and shivering trying to pull yourself up into one.

nick b, stevena198301 and bullpinnie like this.
  10. Downwind

Downwind Senior Refuge Member