Ultra light kayak?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by nick b, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Kayak or something similar. Get a canoe cart for it. Pile your stuff in, decoys, etc and get to walking.

2. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

A small kayak or canoe would be my last choice. Way too tippy for me. A u shaped float tube with a tough, high thread count denier covering would be an excellent choice. Light weight, easily rowed, very easy to get into and extremely stable.

Hands down, without question, my first choice would be a lightweight, one man pontoon boat such as the Classic Accessories Bozeman. Yes, inflatables can be punctured but not easily and patching is easy. Even more puncture resistant but still very safe slightly under inflated. Inflatables can be popped but only when you over inflate them or when inflated fully and then transported from low to high altitude. You can also easily build a pop up blind on a pontoon boat giving you the ability to hunt wherever the birds like. BTW: kick boat fins are made to go over boots, no problem.

3. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

Check out a creekboat. I have the m98. It's 9ft8inches and only weighs 43 lb. Easily holds a couple dozen decoys if you need that many and gear. Blinds out easily. I have actually taken on a some small white water while floating creeks.
    www.creekboat.com
    20170105_083240.jpg

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Nick, tractor supply has a green sit on kayak $299 , 44 lbs

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Also a tan 10 footer for $279.99

6. gadwall52

In stock????

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

In stock????

8. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

A sit on top kayak would probably be the most stable and forgiving, and one of the cheaper options. They would be 45-55 lb range. An adirondack or pack style canoe would be my choice, but would be harder to find, more expensive, and would require more experience before safely paddling in cold conditions. The upside would be a 12 foot boat with a lot more capacity that'd only weigh 20-30 pounds.

9. gadwall52

That would be a poke boat

10. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

No, it'd be a pack canoe. No deck like the poke boat has. If you're going to spend poke boat kind of money look at the hornbeck blackjack 12. It'd be a 15 lb 12' canoe that'll still carry 320 lbs, and is still cheaper than the poke boat.

An old town pack canoe at 12' can be found on craigslist from time to time, but would be made of royalex and weigh in at 33lbs. Usually $400-$500 used when I've seen them though, which keeps the SOT kayak a cheaper, easier to find option.

***Watch the weight capacity on the cheap recreational kayaks though, it's a lot less than you'd think, and waders and decoys can add up quickly.