Under Armour Scent Control

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by 8UP4 FOWL, Nov 23, 2013.

1. addseo1119

addseo1119 New Member

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Hunt the wind!! absolutely!!!

Once you understand the science of scent "reduction " and how effective it is and how many more opportunities it offers.
    In the past 5 years Ive had over a dozen 320 plus bull elk pass under 60 yards down wind. Saturday I sat for a shooting opportunity on 4 Shiras bull moose for over an hour , all down wind of me,..under 50 yards ( certainly not by choice) . The moose were smelling me and at times alert but didnt bust.
    Silver has been used as a bacteria killer and to fight infection for thousands of years.
    Body sweat is generally ideal conditions for bacteria to grow,.. and die,.. making us stink. Reduce the living bacteria or keep it from reproducing and growing and you stink less.
    Used correctly scent killers are extremely effective.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Yep cant kill a bad fart.
    But thats not BO,. Same with improper use and care
    Most people don't properly take care of clothing or use soaps and sprays effectively or they way they are designed
    Your clothes need to be UV killed. Why not just keep them clean too. Most synthetic fabrics dont wear out from washing.

Scent blocker/ barrier clothes are different than the UA product scent control,.. Two different concepts
    Scent control silver infused products are worn against the skin, where there is sweat and bacteria, preventing growth and stink,.. as soon as typical
    Blockers and barriers are just that,.. they hold your stink in
    $10, more for a shirt I would buy, the same, slightly more or less for soaps, anti deodorants, laundry detergents etc,.. Heck, gas for one hunt is more than any years worth of added "cost" of scent reduction

4. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

Biggest mistake most people make imo is they wear their hunting clothes in the car ride, in the bar, hang them inside their house, ect....

Everything except my base layer (when it is really cold) sits in a tote. I put a couple natural smelling cover scents in the tote. Change when I get out of my truck at the site. When I'm done hunting it goes back in the tote.

5. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

if you decide to cheat the wind, do it in the morning if you can.. remember , thermal currents rise in the morning and fall in the evening.. i have used scent lok base layers in the past, can't say if it helped but don't think it hurt either.. i had 2 does come downwind of me this morning, 18ft up, i managed to slip an arrow thru one... but i do try and hunt the wind when i can, and always shower and spray myself down...Good luck

6. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

If you understand how peoples bodies breath and secrete, you will have to acknowledge that their is no such thing as eliminating human scent! This topic is easier to understand when you look at it from a control standpoint. Many of the guys weighing in here have this figured out. Wash all your clothes in UV/Scent free soap and store in container or bag with dirt, leaves, or pine branches. It does not good to take these steps with your clothes if you are going to get dressed, hop into your truck and drive to your hunting area wearing them. As unpleasant as it is some times, I will wait until I arrive at my hunting spot before dressing outside my truck and into my hunting clothes. I cannot tell you how many close encounters I've had with both elk and deer, by using this method.

However, despite taking these steps, I still hunt the wind and you should as well.