Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Union co. report

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by howard s., Nov 19, 2013.

1. mergansercommander

mergansercommander Senior Refuge Member

That have all been taught how by watching a bunch of morons on television. It's not just duck hunting either, although it's been impacted the most. Go to a sizeable chunk of public land managed for whitetails with antler restrictions or doe harvest quotas around veterans day. You'll see a stream of trucks parked every 150 yards with plates from louisiana, arkansas, Alabama, georgia, etc., etc. Stop and talk to them and you'll be asked "where are all the big bucks at?" It's as if they have been led to believe there's a Boone & Crockett buck around every oak tree in the midwest and they succomb to rattling, grunt calls, doe ****, and throw caution to the wind despite the myriad of hunters wandering through the woods at 8 a.m., and cutting through fields in the dark to get to your spot in the woods.
    It really is a shame, but it's the hand dealt...

2. duck_killer00

duck_killer00 Senior Refuge Member

Got a permit for wednesday. Im sure ill end up going down there...will give a report to those interested after.

3. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

Right. Figure I have by average life span 15 -20 yrs left to live so that's how long I need to find a way to deal with it or find something to like about it. Last decent conversation I had with a younger guy had his little boy with him at Anderson & you could tell that his Dad taught him as well. I don't know it all and haven't bought every been there and done that T shirt, but like a lot of others here, me and my brother were taught by the best. I have also had the privilege to hunt with a few very honorable sons a guns here, for which I'm thankful.

4. mergansercommander

Got a permit for Friday, hopefully it stays open and they have some birds. Good luck!

5. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

The day we hunted Union and we had just shoot 1 duck,
    Jerry..Howard there a suzy setting in front of me.
    Me.. Does she look hurt?
    Jerry..I don't know?...Should I shoot her.
    Me..Will if you think BOOM BOOM Yell,,Go ahead.:l:l:l

6. mallardmadness

mallardmadness New Member

I used to hunt geese at the public area. I have a permit for this Friday to hunt ducks, and I have not been since they have flooded the hunting area. Can you reach blinds and set decoys with hip boots or do you need waders?

7. mergansercommander

I know some of the spots you can and they used to have them marked on the map at the shack. I'm sure if you ask them they will help. I'll probably be down there Friday as well, barring it is frozen.

8. duck nazi

duck nazi Elite Refuge Member

If you run into Howards you will definately need the chest waders, hip boots won't cut it!!!

9. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Waders are the safe bet although there are blinds that knee boots will work.

10. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

Unless you stone them dead in front of your assigned blind, your going to have to chase cripples. You will do this unarmed in unconquered territory, choose your choice of waders well.