Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Union co?

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Skycarp33, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Mike55

Mike55 Refuge Member

Well just got back from 4 days at union total harvest 2 men 6 mallards it is very very slow heck top blind today only shot 1 got drawn out late went to so so blind got 2 feel lucky didn't have much to call at seen very few birds today

2. High Ball Caller

High Ball Caller New Member

A buddy of mine told me there is a petition down there everyone is signing to send a message to IDNR about the conditions of the place?

3. Mike55

Mike55 Refuge Member

That is correct every one that goes into check station please ask to sign petition they have it on counter or behind Doug Jeff or Rockey will see you get it let's get a lot of names !! I'm afraid we don't do something the place will be changed for the worse please help

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Glad to hear you made it home safe, Mike. It was good to see you, albeit very little, again.

There was the usual scuttle-butt from the locals there in ref. to the petition....parking lots for hunters to drive themselves to/park, why corn wasnt harvested, why crops were not sprayed, etc.

None of this is the Gospel, but my own observations only...
    There are only TWO full time staff there now ( I didnt ask about their clerical. Amanda and I stopped by the office but the sign said closed).
    They only have two seasonal workers.
    To their benefit, both full time staff, as per protocol, did not bad mouth the site, State, nor their jobs but were, to me, frustrated at the situation. Who can blame em ?
    Guys have to keep in mind that flooding, deer damage, lack of budgets and staff all have a part in why nothing (or very little) was sprayed &/or looked the way it did.
    From what I understand, no one was given a reason as to why they (on the south end) were not allowed to harvest any corn. Best I can figure out, had they been allowed to harvest all but their usual 30%, the site couldve made upwards of $80k and opened up some of the areas around some blinds reducing the amount of lost birds.

Someone mentioned the possibility of hunters having to drive themselves to the blinds next year or two vs. staff taking guys out in trucks, two parties at a time.
    I would like to think the site could keep their trucks, but rent / lease 20' trailers. Surely hunters would raise enough cash to purchase treated 2x's to build side panels on the trailers to hang gear from and to keep those inside the trailers from falling out. Simple 2x seats/benches OR straw bales could be used for seats as well.

Somebody else mentioned that a hunter complained to Springfield about the coffee pot in the check station claiming that state money was being used to buy the coffee. WTH ?! The reason there is a "kitty" there is so the staff can be reimbursed for the coffee THEY bought thats to SHARE with the hunters.
    My daughter, bless her heart, heard this and reached into her own pocket and pulled out a dollar to give the kitty even though she doesnt drink coffee.

wildfowl4444 and riverrat47 like this.
  5. High Ball Caller

High Ball Caller New Member

It's a sad state of affairs that it has come to this. The higher ups in IDNR don't care all they care about is getting paid. The local IDNR employees want to do what's right but aren't given the things they need to do there job. The hunters will pay the price in fact we already are. There is no excuse for them not harvesting the corn, none! Somebody should have lost their job for that. The state is broke and if it's $80,000 tell me one farmer that would have done that!!! Maybe if they get a petition with several names on it and some of the politicians get cornered on it it may change. They got two newer trucks you cannot tell me that the spray and the fertilizer and then harvesting the crops wouldn't have made them money. If it's about money then lease the south end to a farmer. That takes IDNR out of the farming business. They are already leasing the refuge. Those crops look great. This whole deal is somehow political and it's time for us to send a message to them because they work for us.

6. Mike55

Mike55 Refuge Member

Thanks Jim was great to see you and Amanda true not enough visit time !! Also the south end was farmed by lease farmer I know who but decline to say they had new contracts drawn up to include the hunting area I understand the state is pulling strings as to harvest there are a whole lot of people upset because of the politics being done

7. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

I have said for years now and cannot get anyone to join in. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS GOING TO BE DONE UNTIL WE GO BACK TO THE OLD DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION. STATE SALES TAX DEDICATED TO DOC. ALL MONIES COLLECTED FROM SALES OF LICENSES ETC. GO TO DOC. !!! STATE CONSTITUTION CHANGE TO GET THIS DONE!!! LOOK WHAT HAPPENED WHEN WE WANTED THE ROAD TAXES TO GO ONLY TO FIXING THE ROADS. CONSTITUTION CHANGE GOT APPROVED OVERWHELMINGLY !!!
    I call my state senator and representative constantly about the problems w/ the IDNR. They don't care and don't even reply anymore. If we get a new governor then we get a new head of the IDNR. Agency's can't operate efficiently and for the good of the people/fisherman/hunters/ trappers etc. that way.

8. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

The ironic and kind of sad thing is this. I have hunted numerous IDNR managed lands this year and by far Union Co. has the most food in the hunting area. This is not just a Union County problem this a an IDNR waterfowl management problem. Now there are 10s if not 100s of reason why our public waterfowl areas are not living up to there potential. Some of them are not in our control and some of them are. I get mother nature has the final say in crops, water control ect.(although I do think this can sometimes be used as a crutch) I get that waterfowl is not the only thing these sites need to be managed for, and I get we have major budget issues within the state. I agree with rism that would be a great way the fix the our budget issues but I just don't see it happening. We are not a large enough or loud enough voice and we are going to keep paying a fees no matter what. I think the most feasible way to help sites is thru donations of time and $$ thru local waterfowl organizations. I don't mind and Im sure there are many others that wouldn't mind throwing in time and $$ if they knew it was going to stay local and help the local hunting grounds.
    What I don't understand about some of the management practices is this. Who is making these decisions? Is it left up to the local superintendent or is there oversite from somewhere? if so who? Are there written outlined plans site by site with back up plans or just flying by seat of there pants? If there are, is this public info and is there an option for feed back? Do the IDNR and ACOE ever work together? Many areas both agency are involved and if often seems they get in each others way. These are serious questions and I look forward to the answers if anyone has them.
    I know there are a lot of great people in the IDNR that care about waterfowl and want to see it better and I'm sure there are some lazy SOBs who only care about a pay check. Lets just hope the good out number the bad

Mike55 likes this.
  9. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

Riverat47 - chime in here - I believe JCAR makes most of the rules that apply to wildlife areas. Site Superintendents have a little discretion but not much. How you get proposed changes etc. to JCAR for them to look at is anyones guess. They probably don't want to be bothered - its S'field BS. Want to know why we are totally messed up in this State ?? Illinois has over 7,000 Government agencies. Texas has 2,000 plus - GO FIGURE. I could go on and on and ooooon and it gets quite sickening.

10. jamesvc15

jamesvc15 Elite Refuge Member

Ik at many USFW wildlife areas they lease the land to farmers for free but require them to only harvest a certain percentage and also require certain upkeep, maybe Illinois can look into managing land that way. The feds are also moving towards moist soil vegetation instead of land crops, research indicates that the vegetation is generally better.