Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Union county help

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Mallardmashup, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Mallardmashup

Mallardmashup Refuge Member

got a permit for 3rd of December.. never hunted down there. I’m not looking for all your info or the best blinds to hunt. Just some friendly advice what to bring what to expect? If you don’t wanna put it out there feel free to message me. All the help is appreciated.

2. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

3. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

They will have the kill sheets broken down by blind in the shack were you draw. There is also a large map in there and they usually have it marked weather you need hip boots or wader top get to the blind. Can only bring 3 dozen dekes and one hunting partner. You will be loaded into the back of a truck and driven to within a couple hundreds yards of your blind. The place is like mostly public ground hit and miss

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Bring chest waders as these will insure you have enough boot for the water depths ( regardless if they recommend or say that hip boots are good enough) and will keep your butt dry if the seat/bench in the back of the truck is muddy (which it will be ).

25 shells per hunter max.

Bring a head-lamp to keep your hands free

Bring some choice curse words to scream at the blind / pit next to you as they shoot 500 yards high (some guys like to show off their shooting skills there )

Pack lite.....no need to bring a heater, kitchen sink, Aunt Bertha's lucky anvil, etc. There is not enough room in the back of the state truck and with the walk involved, I dont bring anymore than I have to (shells, gun, coffee, calls, 3 dozen or less floating duck decoys ). With that being said, I used to despise the Jet Sled's guys would bring as they can be cumbersome / take up room in the back of the trucks.....until I realized just how nice those sleds can be. Bring a small sled if ya got one.

You check in 6 miles SOUTH of Ware, IL.....NOT at the refuge in Ware, Il. ( it is 6 miles south of town, isn't it ? :scratch )

It's a neat change of scenery but can also be the most frustrating son of a beotch hunt I experience.

DarrenDuck likes this.
  5. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

mud duck is spot on your a little early for most yrs. but get there a little early check the wind and the kill sheets. this is well run place hope u draw well and have a good time.

6. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

I did all I could to help you out by not applying this year. Have a garage full if stuff that hasn't been wet in three years. Fire is pretty much out.

7. twelvegauge

twelvegauge Senior Refuge Member

The turn-off is Reynoldsville. You will have to move with alacrity to spread your decoys and be set-up by shooting time. Less is more. Good luck.

8. Gadwall King

Gadwall King Refuge Member

Bring some corn because the whole place is planted in beans.

9. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Might want to bring some water with you as well. Ran over to Cape last Tues. Never seen it so dry going down 3.

10. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

18, 17, 16 has worked for me
    You want corn and water
    Corn rows
    Or water and a south wind

But to tell you this I would have to kill you.....hehe
    See you soon.