Unusual Day

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by fireduck, Dec 27, 2017.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Our regular diver hunters did not go today, we let some friends use our blind. Now they are a "little" green to duck hunting. This morning they put out about 70 mallard decoys-NO DIVERS! They killed scaulp-reds-buffs- and missed the cans. They killed 9 ducks and all divers. Maybe I need to leave the diver decoys at home next time-LOL! We will see tomorrow! fireduck

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

15* temps will get those birds stirred up.

Clayton likes this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Not a diver hunter here... But, I shoot a few cans and redheads. No doubt but that they come in better to can and redhead decoys.

But, working on a boat tagging sturgeon, we had hundreds and hundreds of divers decoy into the buoys from the net.

It is my opinion that some days divers will decoy to puddle duck decoys, or diver decoys, or buoys... Other days it seems like they flare from live birds on the water...:nutz

4. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Today the REDS liked what decoys we had- cans-scaulp and bufflehead. We cut our decoy spread in half- used no mallards. Ducks were shot 30-35 yards. Scaulp did not want any part of us-did see several groups. The geese fell in on us too-bad mistake! Looking for Cans and Scaulp tomorrow! fireduck- Kenny reds.JPG

5. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

is is scaup.. blue bill.. black heads.. 'bills... all acceptable

6. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I remember a few hunts where we set out 75 canvasback and bluebill decoys on the river, had a few golden eyes out left... and had maybe 4 mallards in tight, and we were hoping for the cans..... we slaughted the mallards those 2 days.....and they kept coming when we limited out on them....