Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Update for the Parkland Region

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by 1jesseK, Sep 25, 2015.

1. 1jesseK

1jesseK Refuge Member

The migration is well started with flocks of snows arriving and flocking up in big numbers. Canada's big and small are also moving from families of 50 to larger flocks. Hunting pressure remains low but expected to increase with non-resident beginning.

We still have above normal temps that has helped get harvest in the bin and offering more fields to hunt. Almost all cereal crops have been harvested with Canola and soybeans still to be harvested.

Pot holes and sloughs are at normal levels and fields are generally dry.

Have only been out a half dozen times or so, busy with harvest and such. Training of the new pup is going well. At 16 mpnths and her first full hunting season, things are starting to come together for her.

Christmas is here boys and girls, come and get it!!

Gootis likes this.
  2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

You suck! The snows by-passed us this last week and all headed further south. Arrggghhh. I guess I have to head south to hunt the white geese again. Mallards are here, but in tight areas of the marshes and are hard to get at. Not using the fields to a great extent as the marsh is low and food sources there are excellent.

Good luck and safe hunting. W.

1jesseK likes this.
  3. 1jesseK

1jesseK Refuge Member

Yes they seem earlier than normal. The ducks are tight to the snows again. Geez dont get so mad at me...maybe stop shooting at them and they will stay with you longer!! :tu
    Been in the field 3 times and in the blind on the slough a few times. Starting to get serious now though!!

4. Outlandish

Outlandish New Member

Any recent migration updates in the Parkland? We are headed up late next week and my in-laws are sending pics of birds filtering down. Sounds like many of the fields are already cultivated.

5. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

You will have a hard time finding stubble this fall. Harvest done earlier than years past. Farmers are busy putting fields to bed for the winter. Especially in SW corner....

6. 1jesseK

1jesseK Refuge Member

Around the Russell area field work has started but not full TIILLt. [emoji1]
    Birds have been funny so far. They are still in family groups to some extent due mainly to warm weather.
    Some snows are around but not seeing the super large flocks yet either.
    We have a fair bit of 0-til around here so stubble fields can be found.
    We need a bit of a system to get the birds gathering up a bit more and continue with some migration from up north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Diago

Diago New Member

How about a current update? Any snows around? Are most of the birds mature or are there Juvies around?

Thanks for the update!

Jim

8. 1jesseK

1jesseK Refuge Member

Birds are on continuous migration now. A strong NW wind last week blew some new birds into the area. Yes lots of snows, and a mixture of mature and Juvies.

9. Diago

Diago New Member

Thanks for the update! I was going to wait until early nov. to come up but maybe I should head up next week

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The birds bypassed us. We have nothing,nada, zero birds. No geese, no ducks in the fields at all, but some activity deep in the marshes on the mud flats, if you can access them. This year sucks worse than last year. I guess I'll have to migrate south or west to get any shooting at all in the next couple weeks. Hard frost last night with 24F temps have frozen up little ponds.