Upland Boots - Who wears what?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 11, 2008.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm finally breaking down to get myself a new pair of upland boots as I'm tired of wearing my insulated deer hunting boots the past few years.

I recently tried a pair of Cabelas Uplands with English leather... nice feeling boots at a good price, but they didn't fit right.

I'm thinking about either Danner Pronghorns or Sharptails, but seem to recall some bad feedback on the Pronghorns from some guys here, so not sure where to jump.

I've tried on some Irish Setters, but they felt so stiff I sure didn't envision spending a day in the fields with them. That was surprising.

What kind of boots do you guys wear in the field when chasing birds?

2. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

I've been on here complaining about the durability of pronghorns. The stitching on mine gave out after a couple of years of pretty hard hunting. I am sending them back to be refurbished by Danner. They are a very comfortable boot and well made despite what happened to mine. I would get the sharptails. I think it is the same boot with the only difference being the toe design. The sharptail design probably would have saved the toe stitching from the way that I use them.
    I'lll post a pic later. Highly recommended depite the obvious wear and tear!

Pic:
    [​IMG]

3. I cant recommend Danner. I have seen too many problems with their boots. I did have a nice pair of Irish Setter upland boots I got from sportsmans guide.

4. labrador

labrador Senior Refuge Member

No doubt the Danner Sharptails are a very comfortable boot. I think that most hunters will be very pleased with them.

However, I had a brand new pair in Oct 2006. Used ONLY for pheasant hunting, I had wet feet in December 2006 due to stitching failure. Danner gave me a new pair. I shelved them until Oct 2007. Again, these boots failed to make the end of the 2007 season here in NE South Dakota with the same issues. I have found that they are not very durable in areas with heavy marsh grass and cattail.

Even with that report, I still think the Sharptail is one of the most comfortable boot I have worn (when it is dry). Most hunters in average terrain with average to above average use will be very happy.

5. agbps

agbps Senior Refuge Member

6. NJOY

NJOY Senior Refuge Member

If moisture( heavy dew,shallow water) is in hunting area I have used Schnee's rubber bottom non insulated pacs.They have been re bottomed twice and the leather is still good. Lots of miles on those boots.Made in Bozeman Montana. My gore tex Danners leaked after one upland season. I also use a gore tex hiking boot by Lowa that is very good. Only drawback to it is only comes in ankle covering height. Very comfortable,light and tough. I use them for everyday also.

7. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

MERRELL lightweights [​IMG]

8. Mr. Jeem

Mr. Jeem Elite Refuge Member

1982 I bought LLBean boots the ones with the rubber bottems. I use sno-seal, bees wax, on them. I still have and wear them when it's wet.

1986 I bought a pair of Red Wings, insulated. I use the boot oil from RW on them. I wore them through three winters of construction in Chicago and I still wear them when hunting and it's very cold.

2001 I bought a pair of Danner light weight boots. I spray them with Scotch guard or silicone. They've held up great so far. I use them as daily wear, when doing yard work or hunting.

All three have been good boots, they were a little pricey but have held up well over the years.

9. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Some great ideas here, Guys. Thanks.

Wish I could afford the Russell's right now, but might look at some Red Wings based on the complaints about the Danner's. I'm really disappointed in the reported stitching problem. Guess I could call them and see what they say about it.

I'll check out the Schnee's. Never heard of them before, but if they're US made it would be worth the look. :tu

10. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Another approach = buy the cheapest boots you can find and throw them away at the end of the year. I use a completely different approach for pheasants than I do for Sage Grouse.