Upland Boots - Who wears what?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

My Danner's were probably worn 50 days a year or so. Mostly pheasant hunting in prairie grass and sloughs. I dont wear them for other things unless it is warm during deer season or turkey hunting and then that is only a few days per year.

2. BenelliArt

BenelliArt Elite Refuge Member

they never leak..tuff boots,expensive but worth it

3. Peenoe Hunter

Peenoe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

4. Bowed-Up

Bowed-Up Elite Refuge Member

Another vote for Filson. I used to buy cheap and throw away. I'm going on 6 yrs with these uplanders (hunted hard with some chuckar trips mixed in). Maybe time for a new Vibram but that is it. Pay now or pay later.

Jeff

5. Tawnie Hunter

Tawnie Hunter Refuge Member

:tu Keep them well oiled and they should last a long time. Very comfortable.

6. fallsflight

fallsflight Elite Refuge Member

I too will need another pair of upland boots before fall. I am leaning towards the Danner Sharptail.

I will tell you to stay away from Rocky Boots. The worst boot I have ever owned. I have had two pairs of the lace up kind for upland/turkeys and one pair of the knee high kind for deer hunting. Every one of them have fallen apart in a short time. Everything from chunks of the soles coming off on the lace-up ones to the rubber cracking on the knee highs after a little over a year (of purchase). Hadn't even wore them for an entire deer season as I bought them in the middle of a season. Called the company and they said there was nothing they could do. After talking with them for awhile I finally gave up and told them I was switching back to Lacrosse (should have stuck with Lacrosse anyway) when they hung up on me.

7. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I've ordered a pair of Sharptails from Cabelas and am looking forward to giving them a try.

Likewise on the Rocky vs. the Lacrosse rubber boots. I've got a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burly Sport boots and their as comfortable as anything. As long as it isn't too warm I'll slip those on in a heartbeat.

8. huntsum

huntsum Senior Refuge Member

I also usually wear 17" rubber pull ons like the lacross. What I like about the tall rubber boots is being able to trudge through wet areas and deep snow but I find that the tall rubber pull ons do not give as much ankle support as I like, especially in hilly or lumpy areas, and above 50º they tend to get hot.

I 'm looking for a tall waterproof boot with good ankle support and a lug sole that breathes fairly well. I'm thinking that the 18" Danner Sharptail may not have as good ankle support as the 18" Danner Pronghorn because it is a pull on boot.

Anyone here have experience with the waterproofness and ankle support qualities of the 18" Danner Pronghorn snake boot?
    http://www.danner.com/category/hunting+boots/snake+boots.do

They get pretty good reviews on Cabelas web site.

Anyone experience whether the 16" tall Schnee's hunting boot gives good ankle support and doesn't overheat too much?
    http://www.schnees.com/product_categories/5/products/2266-schnee-s-16-inch-hunter-ii

Best.

9. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

I have had two pair of Cabela's Pinnacle and have been very happy! I bought the second pair when my feet got bigger at 40+ years of age! The first pair is 6 or 7 years old, elk and pheasant hunting 45 or so days a year and they are still waterproof. And for $100 you can't beat them! I love my Danners and my Timberlands but they are pricey compared to the Pinnacles.

Also, for pheasants don't forget the shoe-goo on the toes, it will make them last forever!

10. huntsum

huntsum Senior Refuge Member

Beware of Cabelas Canada Meindl hunting boots.
    I'm very reluctant to fork over another $250.00 to buy another pair.

I owned a pair of the Cabelas Canada Meindl for about 10 years but didn't use them very much as I mostly hunted with tall rubber boots for accessing wet areas and scent control in deer hunting. After about 10 years of mostly sitting in the closet I put them on and walked out the door to go dove hunting and while the uppers of the Cabelas Canada Meindl were still in excellent condition the rubber sandwich layer between the vibram sole bottom and welt began to crumble and disintegrate. I took very good care of these and kept them cleaned and waterproofed with the proper silicone waterproofer for leather and gortex. This was certainly a manufacturing materials flaw. Cabelas would only offer me 30% of the original purchase price as a Cabelas gift certificate. They wouldn't pay for a repair or replacement which is what I think I deserved.

I sent a negative review to the review section of Cabelas web site but it never got posted. Here are two negative reviews from others with the problem on the same boot that did get posted;

===========

1 out of 5
    Meindl's Canada boots, November 15, 2007
    By GPD2 from Arkansas

"I also had a pair fail without reason. I finished deer hunting today and when I pulled the boots off, I noticed something didn't look right with the sole. The soles on both boots are breaking and crumbling apart. The boots have only been worn about seven or eight times, and appear to be new. Apparently there is some defect affecting the soles, and I was unlucky enough to get a pair of those boots. I would have thought these boots would have lasted me for many years, but now I must return them. With all the reviews giving 5 stars, I can only hope my replacement boots are better."

==============

1 out of 5
    Cabelas Canada Boot Failure, September 1, 2007
    By Mikeinmckinney from McKinney, Tx

"I had owned these boots for five or six years wearing them normally one or two weeks during hunting season. I would have rated them very highly prior to taking them on a caribou hunt in August 2007. At the end of first day of the hunt I noticed cracking in the mid sole between the vibram out sole and the bottom of the boot. On the second day small pieces of the mid sole began to crumble and fall out. By the end of the second day the sole was seperating from the boot begining at the back of the heel. I had to use raw hide and duck tape to bind the sole to the boot in order to continue to hunt. Fortunately the distance walking and the terrain was not very demanding so I managed. Still by the end of day four the sole had completely separated from the boot. Luckily I had filled my tag by this time. I believe the weak link in this boot is the material that the mid sole is made from. It seems to be a foam similar to a runnning shoe mid sole. I have no idea what caused the deterioration."

================

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat601927