Upland Boots - Who wears what?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Tool_Man

Tool_Man Elite Refuge Member

That is my vote also. WA is wet and I have used a number of good leather/gortex boots and ended up with the 18" LaCross. I love'em.

2. Wally Dog

Wally Dog Senior Refuge Member

Custom built Whites made in Spokane,WA
    Built for my foot 1985, paid $169 then. Had them rebuilt once since.
    I think they're close to $400 now.
    You can't do better in rough, rocky country.
    WD

3. pennywise67

pennywise67 Elite Refuge Member

I have the Danner Sharptails in the 17" Snake, the 8 hole lace up,a nd the Chukka boot. Great boot and I pick the one to wear based on the terrain.

4. HNTFSH

HNTFSH Senior Refuge Member

I guess the answer on boots depends largely on terrain. In Ohio...mostly mud, I ended up going full time with Muck Boots even for upland. Lightweight, 100% waterproof without help, don't worry about dew or water, great arch support, and add a little protection to the lower leg under bibs.

5. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

I do a lot of walking and do not believe in special boots for hunting. My work Carhartts are waterproof. Insulated for cooler weather and non insulated for the mild stuff. Tough boots and very comfortable.

6. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Yes. And, climate. Here in California's Sacramento Valley one of my main criteria for pheasant hunting is they must NOT be waterproof. When I come out of the water I want my boots to drain quickly and easily. Chukars in the high desert rocks and snow are a whole different story.

7. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

You're right. It is best to try to match the boot to the type of hunting situation.

I just got some Danner Sharptails from Cabelas and while I like the fit of the foot section, I don't like the stiffness of the upper boot. But, then again, I'm thinking it might have been designed as more of a climbing boot than a low-country boot, thus the "Sharptail" title. Note the difference in how the upper boot is designed vs. the "Pronghorn". I noted the Pronghorns seem to fit a little tigher in the toe box, but I like the upper boot better due to the bend point. I'm sure the Sharptail will eventually soften up and I won't notice it, but it will take more time than the Pronghorn would have, I think.

MN/MTHunting, I hear ya' on the Carhartts. They're similar to the Georgia boots, but I didn't like the sole patterns for the kind of walking/hiking I'm doing.

8. daboone

daboone Senior Refuge Member

I have a pair of Cabelas upland boots. I think they stopped making them last year. I went on Cabelas website and couldnt find them. I've had my pairs of uninsulated and insulated for 3 years and they have been holding up great. I put bees wax on them when they get scuffed up, that seems to increase the lifespan of the leather.

9. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Danners, Danners, and Danners--three pairs with different insulation for different times of year--

10. gasguzzeler

gasguzzeler Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>09/14/52 - 08/

Yeah i got a pair of the Cabeles upland on clearence over the Cabelas internet web site and had them shipped to the store in O watonna and didnt have to pay shipping they seem real light weight and tough and fit better than the more expensive Danners. I wore my feet out in N.D last year with crappy boots so i needed a good boot for this year.