Upland hunting boots

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Banded1, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I need a new pair. I've been wearing USA made Danners for 20 years. I have no problem going back to them but wondering if anyone has other suggestions. I seem to burn through them in a couple years. They'll be wearable but the waterproofing wears out and just generally worn out.

I prefer uninsulated and as smooth of a sole as possible if not completely smooth for ease of walking through grass. I would also prefer all leather uppers but that seems to be hard to find. I expect to pay upwards of $200 but will stay under $400.

Thanks!

2. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

I just got the Cabelas Upland Hunter. Have used it hiking lots of mountains and pretty steep terrain. Plus hunting blue grouse. Chasing chukar as well.

Zero complaints. I would recommend them to anyone.

3. 3.5 mag

3.5 mag Senior Refuge Member

Irish setters havocs great boot best I ever wore

4. Mark Brendemuehl

Mark Brendemuehl Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Depends on the weather. If its cold, like December in Minnesota and upland hunting, I will wear a pair of insulated Rocky boots. If its warmer, I like Danner with no insulation, just Gore-Tex.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have yet to find a pair I like... I have a narrow foot with high arches, and do NOT want insulation for upland hunting...

Because of my narrow feet, I have even tried women's boots, but they are almost always insulated (which makes my feet feel like they are cooking on a strenuous upland hunt)... Plus they often make the soles and heel more narrow which I do not care for at all.

I have gone to good quality hiking boots, which are lighter in weight, but do not give as good of ankle support... The soles are usually heavily treaded (which is good for hunting the rocky foothills, but not so great for hunting the flats for pheasant). Generally for hunting the flats for pheasant, I use un-insulated Lacrosse rubber boots, as the tread is minimal, and they are surprisingly comfortable for a rubber boot.

6. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Back when California had pheasants I usually bought cheap, uninsulated, non-waterproof boots and cut small holes into the inner arch area so that they would drain. Tossed them at the end of the season. Now that our pheasants are gone I buy good light hiking boots and stay out of the swamps:cry

7. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks New Member

Got a Pair of Irish setter Havoc's this year as well. Incredibly comfortable waterproof boots. Fit great not stiff like other Irish setter boots I have owned.

8. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

9. lanthanide

lanthanide Elite Refuge Member

For what it's worth...I wear Danner boots for over 20 years.

I've also owned and worn Irish Setter's, Wolverine, & Rocky (my LEAST favorite).

I always come "home" to Danner.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I know I will take heat for this, but since Icebreaker already 'broke the ice', I will say, the Cabelas Iron Ridge boots have served me for 2 years of almost daily wear, or at least 4 days a week. Good sole, good fit. I got the insulated (MT) but they come un-insulated.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...pageType=index&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU
    $139 regular, but they go on sale pretty regular for $109. I freely admit I don't walk near as much as some (most) here, but I am walking around the woods and river bottoms all the time. At the rate they are wearing, I figure to get another 5-7 years from them.